Sooners down Pokes at Lower GI Arena

Forum to discuss OU Men's Basketball
SwampSooner

Sooners down Pokes at Lower GI Arena

Post by SwampSooner »

McCullum nails a 3 with 0.1 sec left in OT for the 84-82 victory

Sooners rally from a 10 pt deficit with < 1 min to go in 1st half.

BOOMER SOONER!
EMan

Post by EMan »

I admit it, I didn't believe OU would win at OSU today. And when the got down by 11, I figured it was over. But I'm happy they surprised me with the OT win! The final shot by Javian McCollum was anything but high percentage, but today it was solid gold, swishing the net as the clock expired for the win! A perfect OU sports day. Men and women sweep Bedlam basketball, the softball team wins, and right now the baseball team is leading 6-1 in the back half of a doubleheader after winning Game 1.
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...I almost switched the channel, but just quite couldn't throw in the towel...and lo & behold my decision rewarded me with that buzzer beating shot as time expired in OT!

Always enjoy beating the Pukes in Stoolwater, and did take a little of the sting away from losing to OwussU in football.

Was a big road win for Porter's 3rd team. Would've been easy for the SOONERS to roll over, but they showed a little testicular fortitude THAT RESULTED IN..VICTORY!!! :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
EMan

Post by EMan »

Oh, what a difference one shot can make. Let's be honest, if McCollum had missed that last shot (and if we're also being honest, it was a very low percentage shot) I have zero doubt everyone would be complaining and grousing about what a lousy shot they got off in that situation, how they blew another game, how they're falling apart at the end of the season again, etc. etc. And I'm not so sure all those complaints wouldn't have had a lot of merit. But if you want to be a good team, sometimes the players have to pull their own bacon out of the fire by making plays at the end to win it. And yesterday, McCollum was able to do just that. When Oweh couldn't follow up his clutch basket by missing the "and 1" FT, you knew the door was left slightly open, and OSU responded with a clutch 3 of their own from the corner to take that one-point lead that ultimately led to McCollum's heroics. Again, if JM misses that shot, it's an entirely different discussion this morning. It was just nice to see one of those game-winning shots go in for OU. We've seen the other side of that coin far too often lately.

I listened to the post-game, and according to Moser that wasn't exactly the shot they were after. They wanted the ball in McCollum's hands because can create his own shot and is the best FT shooter on the team, so the plan was for him to drive to the hoop and get a shot or fouled. However, OSU did a good job of double teaming that move to the basket and cut him off so JM was forced to improvise. Fortunately for Sooner fans, he hit a very contested 3 for the win. And I suppose that's what good teams do. They make the plays at the end to get hard fought victorites. I love the never-say-die attitude yesterday. And hopefully they can continue to bring that intensity the rest of the way because the schedule doesn't get any easier going forward. @ISU, Houston and Cincinnati at home, and end the season at Texas*. That's the top 2 teams in the conference plus their arch rival in 3 out of 4 games. Not an easy road for sure.
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...have a first cousin on my mother's side who was the Dean of Men at Loyola when Porter was hired by Joe C.
He has assured me it was a great hire and given time, Moser will elevate the SOONERS to a consistent Top 10-15 national program.
Have to say, I'm beginning to have doubts about that.
But then, I always err on siding and standing behind the "man in the arena", the current guy tasked and paid accordingly to be the HC.

Porter's run has thus far been frustrating and even disappointing to me,...BUT, just like yesterday I'm not going to give up on him or his basketball team.
I kind of have a gut feeling he may be really close to getting OKLAHOMA Basketball "over the hump" so to speak.

EMan's right, this year end schedule is daunting at best, and could prove my cousin right or wrong in his assertion.
Hoping the emotional energy of that last second clutch shot sparks a competitive fire in this SOONER Hoops team and they head to the Big Dance with some momentum. :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
soonerindallas

Post by soonerindallas »

One of the most satisfying things was seeing all those sad aggie fans stand there shocked when his shot went in. Priceless!!!