Big 12 Women's Basketball Tourney starts Tomorrow in Kansas City

A new coach, new recruits, and a new attitude,
OUBeliever56A

Big 12 Women's Basketball Tourney starts Tomorrow in Kansas City

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The Big 12 Women's Basketball Tourney begins on Thursday, the 7th, with two play-in games before the 10-team bracket begins play on Friday, the 8th.

Thursday @ 5:30 PM - Texas Tech 5-13 (#12 Seed) vs Houston 5-13 (#13 Seed)
Thursday @ 8 PM - Cincinnati 5-13 (#11 Seed) vs Central Florida 3-15 (#14 Seed)
In both matchups, the two teams played twice the conference play. Texas Tech defeated Houston twice while Cincinnati defeated UCF both times as well.

Tech looks to have the advantage over Houston as they won by 8 in Houston and by 18 in Lubbock. But Texas Tech has lost their last 9 games in conference play. Houston was 3 and 6 in their last 9 games in conference.

Cincinnati won both close games over UCF. In Cincy, they won by 1, 64-63. In Orlando, Cincy won by 6 67-61. In their last nine games in conference, Cincy was 3-6 while UCF was 2-7.
On Friday, there are two more play-in games along with 2 games with Thursday's winners playing against the #5 Seed, Baylor and the #6 Seed, West Virginia.

Friday @ 11 AM - Baylor 12-6 (#5 Seed) plays the winner of Tech and Houston game.
Friday @ 1:30 PM - Oklahoma State 7-11 (#8 Seed) plays TCU 6-12 (#9 Seed).
Friday @ 5:30 PM - West Virginia (#6 Seed) 12-6 plays the winner of the Cincy and UCF game.
Friday @ 8 PM - Kansas 11-7 (#7 Seed) plays BYU 6-12 (#10 Seed).

In the Friday play-in games, one two-some did not played and the the other two played only once.

It is interesting that OSU and TCU has not played this season as TCU forfeited those two games in mid-season when TCU was short of players. TCU is 4-5 in their last 9 games, but they are 4-1 in their last five when their 6'7" center Sedona Prince returned from injury. I think TCU could win this play-in game over OSU.

Kansas defeated BYU twice this season. Kansas won by 14 at home and by 8 in Utah. Kansas has also won 8 of their last nine games in conference play while BYU was 4-5 in their last nine conference games.

I will have more to report as the tourney is played out and will preview the two games before Friday's games after the Thursday games are played.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

So far I am two for two on my guesses. But I will say that I am a little surprised that both teams, Tech and Cincy, won their third games over Houston and UCF. What is the saying about beating any team 3 straight times? Something about it being very difficult to do.

With those results, the games today are:

Friday @ 11 AM - Baylor 12-6 (#5 Seed) plays Texas Tech.
Friday @ 1:30 PM - Oklahoma State 7-11 (#8 Seed) plays TCU 6-12 (#9 Seed).
Friday @ 5:30 PM - West Virginia (#6 Seed) 12-6 plays Cincinnati.
Friday @ 8 PM - Kansas 11-7 (#7 Seed) plays BYU 6-12 (#10 Seed).

Baylor played Texas Tech once in Waco this season and won by 29 points. The Bears should handle Texas Tech fairly easy again today.

It is interesting that OSU and TCU has not played this season as TCU forfeited those two games in mid-season when TCU was short of players. TCU is 4-5 in their last 9 games, but they are 4-1 in their last five when their 6'7" center Sedona Prince returned from injury. I think TCU could win this play-in game over OSU.

West Virginia and Cincinnati played twice this season. WV won at home by 15 and won on the road at Cincy by 29. West Virginia should win the third game between the two teams tonight.

Kansas defeated BYU twice this season. Kansas won by 14 at home and by 8 in Utah. Kansas has also won 8 of their last nine games in conference play while BYU was 4-5 in their last nine conference games.
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

I hope osu and tcu wind up in a grueling battle that goes about 5 overtimes!
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The TCU Women just defeated Oklahoma State 68-66 in Kansas City. That sends TCU against OU tomorrow @ 1:30 PM. Oklahoma defeated TCU in LNC earlier this year 72-55 when TCU was still playing without Sedona Prince.

IT was just a 4Q game, no overtime, "TN Sooner".

In the first game today. Baylor #5 Seed defeated Texas Tech 74-60. Baylor now plays Iowa State at 11 AM on Saturday.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Fridays games:

As posted earlier:

The TCU Women just defeated Oklahoma State 68-66 in Kansas City. That sends TCU against OU tomorrow @ 1:30 PM. Oklahoma defeated TCU in LNC earlier this year 72-55 when TCU was still playing without Sedona Prince.

Update:

In the first game today. Baylor #5 Seed defeated Texas Tech 74-60. Baylor now plays Iowa State at 11 AM on Saturday.

Kansas defeated BYU in the 5:30 PM game by the score of 77-53. Kansas moves on to play Texas.

In the final Friday game, West Virginia defeated Cincinnati 70 to 55. WV moves on to play Kansas State.

On Saturday, the four games are:

11 AM - Baylor vs Iowa State - They played once in the regular season with Iowa State winning 66-63 in Ames. What happens on a 'neutral court' today. I would bet Iowa State fans provide what could be considered a home court advantage. I think I take I-State in this one.

1:30 PM - TCU vs Oklahoma - As has been posted TCU played only 6 players and the starters all played at least 36 minutes. Oklahoma is deeper and can play 10 or 11 players effectively at times. If Oklahoma runs and takes care of the ball, the Sooners should run the Horned Frogs off the court. But Prince inside could cause OU some issues. I take Oklahoma by double-digits in this one.

5:30 PM - Kansas at Texas - In their only regular season game, Texas defeated Kansas 91-56 in Austin. But, since then Kansas has been 10 and 3 losing only to K-State, OU and Baylor with the last two being on the road. Texas is 10-2 since then losing only to Oklahoma twice (I enjoyed typing that!). I think Kansas could surprise today as they are playing well. It may depend on well Kansas can play inside against the multiple bigs inside for Texas. Texas probably wins, but maybe Kansas pulls the upset.

8:00 PM - West Virginia vs Kansas State - Kansas State won thier only meeting in Manhattan by 9 points in overtime. But going into the tourney both teams have been 1-2 since that game with WV also winning over Cincy last night. K-State will be playing a home game in KC tonight. K-State should win, but West Virginia is going to play their brand of defense which is pretty good.

Good luck to the Sooners today!

Boomer Sooner!