"How We Play The Game".........................BV

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
WishBone

"How We Play The Game".........................BV

Post by WishBone »

Monday officially begins Year 3 of the Brent Venables era at Oklahoma.

On this day, the Sooners are opening spring practice 2024.

It’s been called the most important spring practice in the history of OU football, and that’s probably not hyperbole. After 109 seasons of affiliation with the Southwest Conference, the Missouri Valley, the Big Six, the Big Seven, the Big Eight or the Big 12, the Sooners migrate to the Southeastern Conference on July 1.
College football’s winningest program since World War II, a program with seven national championships and seven Heisman Trophy winners, a program that has often been the avant garde of the college game — whether racial integration or wishbone innovation or air raid sensation — finds itself in a firestorm of doubt.
Is Oklahoma ready for the SEC? The Sooners ruled the Big 12, with 14 titles in 28 years, but can they compete in college football’s premier league? Can Venables and his staff recruit on Georgia’s level? Can they develop NFL talent on LSU’s level? Can they win on Alabama’s level?

For his part, Venables sounds mostly confident.

“We’ll see if the investment and commitment is there as we develop our team, Team 130,” he said last week. “Ultimately, that will be the test of what we’re going to be, what our commitment is.”

Oklahoma has the makeup to make it in the SEC long-term. The infrastructure is strong and growing. The fan base is in place. The budget is competitive. The history is second to none. The investment — from the president to the AD to the head coach to the big money donors — is there.
Now, after going 6-7 and 10-3 in his first two seasons, Venables believes this OU team will make the most of the next 41 days — 15 spring practices, starting Monday and ending with the Red/White Game on April 20 — and continue the work and the growth he’s seen since the team reconvened

“I really like where we are at in a lot of places,” Venables said. “We’re anxious and excited to watch our guys get out on the field, our coaches and players together to start to do spring ball. This is the time of year where we reinforce all of our processes and how we practice, how we compete and how we play, how we run on and off the field, all the little things – doing the little things right.”

This OU team faces one of the nation’s toughest schedules, with tantalizing but terrifying home games against Tennessee and Alabama, and a road slate that includes trips to an improving Auburn, a surging Ole Miss, a potentially historic Missouri and a hungry LSU.
And a neutral site game against a Texas team that’s coming off its best season in more than a decade.

Wins won’t come easy — not that they ever did. But this year, every inch will be earned.

And while all eyes are on new quarterback Jackson Arnold, the team itself could look quite a bit different than it did last fall. Venables has a new offensive coordinator (Seth Littrell replaces Jeff Lebby), a new defensive coordinator (Zac Alley replaces Ted Roof) and a new special teams analyst (Doug Deakin replaces Jay Nunez).

Again, arguably the most important spring practice in the history of the program has arrived for Oklahoma.

“It’s also an opportunity for us to look at how we evolve in all three phases of the game, what we’re going to do and what we’re going to tinker with and have an opportunity to try some new things,” Venables said. “But most importantly, we’re going to establish our standard of expectations, how we practice, how we compete, how we play the game, how we meet, all those types of things.”
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
RussC

Post by RussC »

Good job of writing by someone
#Mentally In Portal
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...I think OKLAHOMA will EARN its props and kudos in this first year in the Mighty SEC!

No one seems to want to predict a possible SEC Title in this first go-round with the "Big Boys" of college football.

SO LET ME BE THE FIRST!!!

I've seen stranger things happen in my life as a SOONER fan,...many of them bitter disappointments,...and I've had egg on my face and eaten a lot of crow right here on ST several times.

But HOPE springs eternal in this chinaman's heart. It's easy to say OKLAHOMA will struggle this Fall. That's the prevailing wisdom.
But, I've always been Bodacious in my expectations and and my optimism.
If it doesn't happen, I'll suffer the slings and arrows of my peers on this MB.
And if it does...if OKLAHOMA should even make the SEC Title Game won't matter a bit to me if not a single fan here says, the Chinaman called it during Spring Practice.
I said it first! :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
Fly

Post by Fly »

I ant sceeeered bring ‘em on, one by one! :smokingmad:

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
pippen

Post by pippen »

Fly wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:00 pm I ant sceeeered bring ‘em on, one by one! :smokingmad:

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
DA*N STRAIGHT!!!!!!!