Portal for 2024

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
VNSooner

Portal for 2024

Post by VNSooner »

With 10 players graduating at the end of this season, I expect that Patty will hit the portal for a significant number of players. I recognize that the incoming class will have a significant number of potential contributors. However there are a lot of unknowns that can't be measured until Fall practice. I have to believe that Patty will look hard to fill some gaps that will occur with the departure of a great group of contributors.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

I think she'll pick up a few, but we have quality players coming in--granted you never know what you have until first pitch of the first game.
I think she'll probably pick up a Senior Pitcher if there's one around, maybe a catcher--although we will have two next year.
She's picked up around 4 or so for the last few seasons...not sure there'll be more than that. imho
aka Crimson47
1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

I think Coach always has her eyes open and phone in her pocket. If there are any "too good to pass up" players that hit the portal, I'm sure she will give them an invite to meet and talk it over.

What would you do, VN?

I've heard some speculation (from others with better insight than me) that the portal-pickin's may be a bit slim on big names since the Covid Extra Year is ending. Makes some sense to me.

It's a delicate balance to find and maintain for sure!
BudaSooner

Post by BudaSooner »

Well, even if Patty hits the Portal fairly hard (4-6 players), (and notwithstanding that our incoming freshman class is reputed to be SUPER good) I look for the 2024-25 Sooner Softball team to take a significant hit, what with losing the following players:

Boone; Keeney; Hansen; May; Jennings; J. Coleman; Maxwell; Ludlam; Brito; Torres; That is TEN good-to-VERY good, or exceptional players that will be leaving due to loss of eligibility. I just don't see how Patty can keep OU Softball at the top after this year. Losing Jayda, Tiare, Kinzie and Rylie just by themselves would be a BIG hit...

Hopefully, I will be proven wrong.
Poster previously known as BlackwellSooner
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

Well, our younger players have very strong credentials, but it might be the most impressive thing Patty has ever done as a coach, if she can field a championship team for the 2025 softball season.
AustinTXSooner

Post by AustinTXSooner »

Right now, next years roster will look like:

P
===
Kierston Deal
SJ Geurin
Paytn Monticelli
Audrey Lowry

C
===
Corri Hicks
Riley Zache

MIF
===
Quincee Lillio
Avery Hodge
Nelly McEnroe-Marinas
Syd Barker
Gabriella Garcia
Kadey Lee McKay
Tia Milloy

CR
===
Cydney Sanders
Ella Parker

OF
===
Hannah Coor
Kasidi Pickering
Maya Bland
Chaney Helton

I think we look at one C and one P at a minimum. Possibly another pitcher. And any bat that you can't pass up, no matter where it is. I don't see having more than 22 on the roster, so max of 3 new transfers plus replacing any that transfer out. As with any year, some of those middle infielders will need to change positions. A couple to 3B and probably one OF.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

I think that 'AustinTXSooner' has it about right.

Right now, as of March 13th on a Wednesday, you can only see 3 starters in that list of 19 players.

Sanders, Parker and Pickering would see to have an indication that they will likely be starters in 2025. Other than that in the field, everything is up for grabs.

Speculation might add Corri Hicks to that list as a 4th, but until she arrives and shows something in the fall, that is not assured either.

I would say that the Sooners will look strongly at any player that can play defense and hit and fits into the Sooner program fully. I would not limit the possible transfers to a number though. The Sooners will be so young and unproven in 2025 that any good player in the portal could be considered.

The pitching staff definitely will need an arm or two added. Right now, on March 13th, none of the pitchers have over 24.2 innings in 2024. There are very good indications of talent from Deal, Monticelli and Geurin but that is all. Deal can at least add 27.1 strong innings to her resume from 2023. Monticelli had some positive numbers at Wisconsin in 2023 also. Audrey Lowry should be good as a freshman, but we will not know till the fall about that or even the spring of 2025.

I really think all bets are off as to transfers during the summer of 2024 are concerned.
The Far Journey

Post by The Far Journey »

My worry for next year is pitching. I think if Patty has to go with several freshmen in the lineup, they at least will be among the top in the country coming in and by May of 25, they should be seasoned performers. Coming in the fall of 25 will be two top five pitchers in Bordi and Riley Zache's sister. That hopefully will set us up for the future. Next season, Lowry might prove to be a stopper but as mentioned we'll have to see. It appears that another pitcher from the portal has to be a priority for Patty.
VNSooner

Post by VNSooner »

Given that there is no way to know who will be available in the portal, I think Patty could look seriously for a catcher, 2 pitchers, and several infielders. Need to find quality players who can hit and have power and can play defense. With the loss of so much production and experience, next season will present a set of challenges for Patty. I am sure she recognizes this and is several steps ahead of us. Patty is playing chess, while we are playing checkers.