OU's 25 Greatest Players

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

Bottom post of the previous page:

#14 Rickey Dixon ( Defensive Back) 1984-1987

The first Oklahoma player to win the Jim Thorpe Award as the nation's top defensive back in 1987. Only Darrell Royal has more career interceptions (19) at Oklahoma than Dixon's 17. A school-record nine of those picks came during his senior season of 1987. Perhaps best known for his two interceptions during a 1987 win over rival Nebraska, Dixon also recorded 170 tackles as a Sooner and broke up more than 20 passes in his stellar collegiate career.
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

#15 Keith Jackson (Tight End) 1984-1987

During the 1980s, when the Sooners were running the wishbone to perfection, they did not entirely neglect the passing game. Not when you've got one of the great college tight ends of all time on the roster. A two-time All-American (1986 and '87) and a key part of Oklahoma's national championship-winning squad of 1985, Jackson recorded 62 receptions for 1,407 yards. He might be best known for his 71-yard TD catch from Jamelle Holieway during the Sooners' Orange Bowl victory over Penn State to win that national title. Jackson is a member of the College Football Hall of Fame.
Last edited by WishBone on Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gcruse7

Post by gcruse7 »

WishBone wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:23 am He might be best known for his 71-yard TD catch from Jamelle Holieway during the Sooners' Orange Bowl victory over Penn State to win that national title
I thought he was best known for his Sooner Magic-esqe catch and run in the final seconds against Nebraska that set up the game winning field goal.
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot
EMan

Post by EMan »

gcruse7 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:17 am
WishBone wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:23 am He might be best known for his 71-yard TD catch from Jamelle Holieway during the Sooners' Orange Bowl victory over Penn State to win that national title
I thought he was best known for his Sooner Magic-esqe catch and run in the final seconds against Nebraska that set up the game winning field goal.
OR... his 88-yd end-around run against the Huskers in '85 that set the tone for a big Sooner win. :D Jackson had a lot of big plays in a Sooner uniform!
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...I have an autographed football signed by Keith Jackson. :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

gcruse7 wrote:I thought he was best known for his Sooner Magic-esqe catch and run in the final seconds against Nebraska that set up the game winning field goal........................................I can think of a lot of Plays KJ was involved in that could meet the criteria.
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

#16 Josh Heupel (QuarterBack) 1999-2000

Heupel did not win the Heisman Trophy at Oklahoma, but he left his mark on the program. He was the runner-up in 2000 when he helped the Sooners win a national championship. Meanwhile, it was quite a journey for Heupel to get to Norman. Beginning at Weber State, overcoming an ACL injury, and resurfacing at a Utah community college before landing in Oklahoma. Heupel threw for 7,456 and 53 touchdowns in two seasons with the Sooners, ranking fifth in school history. Heupel, who also rushed for 12 career touchdowns, was The Associated Press Player of the Year in 2000 when he also won the Walter Camp Award
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

Really not that surprising to see Josh doing well at Tennessee,
Fly

Post by Fly »

I been waiting from one of you guys on this GREAT PLAYERS NAME? Who could EVER FORGET the GREAT Grandville Liggines? Now
there was a guy Barry will never let people forget.

🪰Fly :BV: :ou:
http://home.ican.net/~argos/mariners/pr ... 960501.htm
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

#17 Roy Williams (Defensive Back) 1999-2001

Williams' career at Oklahoma should not be defined by one play. However, his 2021 "Superman " moment, diving over a Texas blocker and knocking the ball from the hand of Longhorns quarterback Chris Simms and into the hands of fellow Sooner Teddy Lehman for a touchdown, is one of the great single defensive plays in college football history. That same season, Williams won the Jim Thorpe Award and Nagurski Trophy and was named Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year. He also helped the Sooners win the national championship to conclude the 2000 season.
Fly

Post by Fly »

My favorite Sooner player ever, & I consider him the Best defensive player of all in Sooner history. The Great Tommie Harris. Lord
The best Defensive lineman we ever had & that is saying a lot.Had a incredible career in the NFL. I knew Tommy as did Chinaman.
He was a gentle giant in real life. But on the field EVERY team double teamed him. They had to at 295 lb,s with 4.6 speed he was
a train to stop. But one of the best all around player you could ever know, on & off the field.
https://twitter.com/Tommieharris90
bowhuntr

Post by bowhuntr »

Fly wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:38 am My favorite Sooner player ever, & I consider him the Best defensive player of all in Sooner history. The Great Tommie Harris. Lord
The best Defensive lineman we ever had & that is saying a lot.Had a incredible career in the NFL. I knew Tommy as did Chinaman.
He was a gentle giant in real life. But on the field EVERY team double teamed him. They had to at 295 lb,s with 4.6 speed he was
a train to stop. But one of the best all around player you could ever know, on & off the field.
https://twitter.com/Tommieharris90
Even better than Lee Roy? :confusedplus:
Fly

Post by Fly »

That tuff but I must say yes. “Reason”he was much bigger & faster,6,4 295, 4.6 speed.His career in the NFL was better. And Leroy had those to
Great brother’s alone side him. Now I Don’t think Tommy Harris led defenses where any where as good in college as the Selmons.
But that my only reason. That still a tuff call Me Bow.

bowhuntr

Post by bowhuntr »

Oh, I know, Fly. I was just ribbing you. :)
Fly

Post by Fly »

You know my friend you question really got me to thinking about players to day opposed to players of the past. I,m going to
do some research on many things your question brings up. I,m still thinking about this & plan to write something on this subject
In the next few days. It will give us all something to talk about in this dead time of the year. It will be a fun discussion.

WishBone

Post by WishBone »

Fly Wrote:plan to write something on this subject
In the next few days....................................Ive Alerted The Media ,Arthur.(From Mr Hobbs) :D

:rice:
Last edited by WishBone on Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.