OU's Emerging Team Identity?

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
1KCSoonerFan

OU's Emerging Team Identity?

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

How would you describe the kind of team OU has at this point of the season?

How would you describe their personality as a whole?

What is their playing style?

These are all separate questions with separate answers in one sense. Taken as a whole, they all swirl around the concept of "identity." How would you describe OUSB Identity right now?

This thought started to take shape for me while listening to the game commentary on the radio.

The announcers talked about Baylor's style of play being a type of aggressive, scratch and claw wrestling match (very much like their mascot, perhaps?). I heard it as a description of their identity; more like a Demolition Derby car than a Formula One racer. They get in there, bang around with you, and hope to be the last engine running in the end. Street Fighter vs Prize Fighter. Bear vs Prairie Schooner.

That got me thinking about how I would describe the Sooner's team. I have followed OUSB long enough now to notice how each group, each year, is different. Each squad has its uniqueness and nuance. What would those be for this year?

I'm still thinking about it to be honest. I have a few themes I'm trying to blend into a more simplified idea. My themes so far:

* A bit less offensively potent than the recent past, yet not far off.
* A bit less sharp on defense than the recent past, yet not far off.
* A bit more unsettled this year, yet with some emerging consistencies (batting line ups and position players).
* A bit less exuberant emotionally, yet more than any other team I can think of right now.
* A blend of "old vets" and "young guns."
* Still the most talented and dangerous team in the game.

It feels like Yin-Yang. A mix of elements that BALANCE into a unified whole.

Okay, after writing all this out, here is my first attempt at a single statement about the Sooner's Identity this year:

"Complete, not Perfect."

What do you think?

(Edit: None of my statements about the offense or defense being "A bit less..." are based on facts or statistical analysis. I hope our resident Guru, Believer '56, will overlook this and forgive me for any misstatements. The recent Baylor series, and the stats he quoted from that game, show the Sooners are still kicking it really well.)
inconnu

Post by inconnu »

Getting ready for Prime-Time players.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

For me, I guess I see the team as a "Power Team"...both in hitting and also in pitching.
I can't really say that about the defense, though. The Defense is good, of course, but we just have more miscues defensively--infield primarily--than what I recall in the past.
Base running leaves a lot to be desired also. But if we just get on base, and stay there, then we seem to have found a lot of power at the plate in a lot of HRs turning up now, and consistently a lot of doubles as well.
We do seem to be more patient at the plate now as reflected in the 163 walks we've received against only 82 strikeouts. 2 to 1 ratio there is pretty good isn't it?
And we are more subdued this year it seems like....for whatever reason. Maybe the kids have matured and now are just more focused on keeping their eye on the goal at the end rather than excitement of the moment.

So for me I guess....I would call their identity a "Power team with overwhelming pitching."
aka Crimson47
cushcreekmont

Post by cushcreekmont »

From the terms tossed out, I think "complete" is quite good.

The 2024 team is scoring close to the 22 team (more than a run per game better than the 23 team, but 1.1 worse than the powerhouse 2021 team). It has a better BA and slugging % than 22 (and 23, which had the lowest of the 4 years), but short of the all-time hitting 2021 team.

While beating the 22 team and blowing away the 23 team at the plate, 2024 is third in pitching (2nd in fielding). It is also 3rd in run differential per game (the 2023 team with the best W/L has the worst run differential at +7.13 per game).

The stats and our eyes tell us that this team (at the mid-season point) is right there with the last 3; winning in their own fashion.
texsa sucks!
1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

I like all these responses because they resonate with what I was seeing with my eyes and recalling in my mind - some aspects are "better than" recent years, and some areas are "less than". The stats crushcreek shares reflect this fact perfectly. There is a mix of data and perceptions in play.

"Power Team" seems very descriptive. Yes, the team makes some mistakes in an area or two, but really flex their muscles where it counts the most: pitching and scoring.

"Prime Time Players" keeps the focus on the goal - and away from my pesky comparisons.

I really want to get away from "better-worse" in my own mindset - even though I think often in those terms - because it is quite relative and not as descriptive as it may seem. Nor is it even fair....like the '21 trophy is better than the '22 or '23 trophies because of Factor X or Y. I mean, a feisty and dedicated team, despite not leading all statistical categories and dominating all opponents, could make a legit case for "greatness" because they accomplished much with "less than", rather a little with "more than". That may have been a bit like the 2000 Sooner team, yes?

Good stuff.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

I enjoy this thread and reading what posters think. But sometimes, I think we all 'forget' the real numbers at times. For grins, not to compare, I am going to provide the tats for each year 2021 to 2024.

2021:
56-4 --> .405 BA, .490 OB%, .778 Slug%, 110 doubles, 10 triples, 161 HRs, 10.63 R/G -> 1.94 ERA, 23 shutouts, .184 BAA -> 25 errors for a .982 Fielding%

2022:
59-3 --> .371 BA, .474 OB%, .734 Slug%, 82 doubles, 8 triples, 155 HRs, 9.34 R/G -> 1.05 ERA, 33 shutouts, .144 BAA -> 33 errors for a .977 Fielding%

2023:
61-1 --> .366 BA, .456 OB%, .666 Slug%, 116 doubles, 9 triples, 117 HRs, 8.08 R/G -> 0.96 ERA, 35 shutouts, .162 BAA -> 19 errors for a .987 Fielding%.

2024:
31-1 --> .394 BA, .493 OB%, .733 Slug%, 62 doubles, 3 triples, 68 HRs, .9.125 R/G, -> 1.39 ERA, 15 shutouts, .185 BAA -> 13 errors for a .983 Fielding%
(Prorated power equals, shutouts and errors: 120 doubles, 6 triples and 132 HRs -> 29 shutouts -> 25 errors)

I think of 2021 as the "Monster Year" due to the offensive production. But I also know that we had more trouble winning the Natty in that year than in any of the last three.

I think of 2022 as the "Trio to Duo Year with a Catch" as Trautwein and May took over during Bahl's injury and got the Sooner to the Natty. The Coleman 'catch helped a great deal also. The offense was still dominate to help also.

I think of 2023 as the "Pitching and Defense Year" as the Sooners were just light out in the circle and on defense with an 'underrated' offense.

I am thinking of the 2024 season as the year of "The Chase of Four with Love's" as their offense is about as good as ever (2021) and their pitching is defense is strong enough to make the run for Four-in-a-Row with 4,000+ in the stands at Love's.

Boomer Sooner!
cushcreekmont

Post by cushcreekmont »

2023 WAS the defensive year for the Sooners. While the ERA and fielding% were both the best of the four years, there were also several plays that were made that were beyond statistics. Coleman had more than one HR-rob and several throw outs. Grace Lyons with the best SS play ever turning hits into outs that also do not show up in fielding percentage.

2021 and 2022 took the greatest hitter in softball history to get the Sooners to the trophy.
2023 seemed to replace her with the best defense and great pitching.

So far, 2024 has had rotating hot hitters. If a couple get hot during the WS, they will achieve #4. I feel less secure about OUr pitching in 2024. The KU road series and then the one to texsa might show how good the pitching is.
texsa sucks!
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

23 also had my favorite double play.
The "dropped" fly ball by Jayda Colemen in shallow CF, relay to Lyons to step on 2B for a force and relay to 3B for a tag on a runner.
I believe one of our posters had a name for that kind of play, but it slips my mind.
It was a thing of beauty.
aka Crimson47
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

I don’t love comparing teams from different years - there are so many variables that make that comparison difficult.

I prefer to judge our teams abilities relative to their peers on a year by year basis. The 2024 team is 1 or 2 in many of the hitting categories. Not quite as dominate as last year, but clearly one of the best 2-3 offenses in college softball. We are not as high in pitching stats - but still are a very respectable top 5 or 8 in most categories. Fielding is also very good, certainly top 3.

No other team can say they are top 1-5 in all three areas. Texas is probably closest, but they do struggle defensively.

Our schedule strength is probably down a bit this year - but it will be fine after the Big 12 season - not the toughest, but plenty good.