Week 1 Pick'em Games are Up for Selection - FRIDAY Deadline!

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
EMan

Week 1 Pick'em Games are Up for Selection - FRIDAY Deadline!

Post by EMan »

It’s football time in Oklahoma! And that means it’s time for another exciting season of your favorite fall challenge, the SoonerTimes Pick’em Contest! Get ready to test your football prognostication powers and see if you have the stuff to unseat our 2023 Champion, OU-Native! So, dust off your thinking caps and polish up those crystal balls because it’s time to have some fun and to test your football knowledge against the rest of the ST community.

EVERYONE is welcome! Long time posters, newbies, lurkers, we even let our own moderators play! If you’ve got a username, you’re set to go! If you don’t, it’s easy to sign up and then you can join in and have some fun! And no, we’re not trying to get you to subscribe to anything. We’re a unicorn in today’s world. We don’t try to make any money off this site and don’t care how many hits we get. No fees! No ads! Just good ol’ football discussion! So, if you want to have a little fun with your fellow Sooner fans, join in! The great thing about playing Pick’em is that games you normally wouldn’t give a rat’s rear end about you suddenly find you have a vested rooting interest in! And besides that, it’s just picking teams. It ain’t rocket science! You got a 50-50 shot at being right with every selection. It’s not that hard and here’s how it works.

Each week of the season we’ll select 20 games for our contest and rank them (according to our opinion) from the easiest to predict to the hardest. Points are awarded on a stairstep rating system with games ranging in value from 1-point (the first game on the list and presumably the easiest to predict) to 20-points (the last game on the list and ostensibly the closest to a toss-up). All you do is pick a winner for each contest and then sit back and watch the points roll in. No point spreads, just pick the winners, straight up. It doesn’t get much easier than that! Our weekly winner will bask in the glory of the coveted Pick’em bragging rights for that round and hopefully be one step closer to the ultimate prize, sitting in the winner’s circle as the 2024 ST Regular Season Pick’em Champion!

OK, with those preliminaries out of the way, let’s get down to business. You can access the fun by clicking on the “EMan’s Pickem Contest” button at the top/left of the board, or by clicking HERE. Then just sign in and make your picks. It’s just that easy!

But wait! There’s more! If you’d like an additional challenge, you can also sign up for the Pick’em Tag Team Contest, where you partner up with someone else in an effort to earn the Tag Team title! Our 2023 champs, Triple Option and Walt are still savoring the glory of taking home last year’s team championship. If you want to also play in that contest but don’t have a partner, just let us know and we’ll get you lined up!

PLEASE NOTE THE UNUSUAL DEADLINE FOR THIS FIRST WEEK! With OU playing on Friday night to open the season, we’ve moved up our normal Saturday deadline to Friday for this week only! Therefore, DEADLINE FOR SUBMITTALS in our first week will be 6:00 PM on FRIDAY, August 30th. As tends to be the case in the early season, “on paper” there’s a limited number of competitive games available, but the schedule is what it is. With that said, our list of games for the first week of the 2024 season include:

Temple @ Oklahoma - Friday
Colorado St. @ Texas*
UTEP @ Nebraska
UConn @ Maryland
Southern Illinois @ BYU
Clemson vs Georgia – Atlanta, GA
Virginia Tech @ Vanderbilt
Florida Atlantic @ Michigan St. - Friday
UCLA @ Hawaii
Boise St. @ Georgia Southern
Nevada @ Troy
South Dakota St. @ Oklahoma St.
TCU @ Stanford - Friday
Penn St. @ West Virginia
Wyoming @ Arizona St.
USC vs LSU – Las Vegas, NV - Sunday
Notre Dame @ Texas A&M
Miami (FL) @ Florida
Miami (OH) @ Northwestern
UNLV @ Houston

Once again, remember to make sure you get your picks in by 6:00 PM, Friday, Aug. 30th! As a reminder you can always go back before the deadline and change any pick you’ve made. Just use the “Review Pick” button on the Pick’em page to edit your selections. Remember to sharpen up those darts! And good luck!

If you have any trouble accessing the games, registering for a username or just have a question, let us know and we’ll get it taken care of. Thanks for playing! And remember, the more the merrier!!
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!
EMan

Post by EMan »

One more item we should note. If you’ve signed up for a Username and can’t find it in the Pick’em list, be aware that this software is a little quirky. For some reason it sorts by capital letters first, then lower case. So if you’re scrolling through the list to find your username and it starts with a lower case letter you’ll need to scroll all the way to the bottom to find it. The easiest way to find your name is to just click on the list and start typing it in. It should pop up immediately.
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

whoops. deadline is friday and i just picks in
::rice2:: :dude:
walt

Post by walt »

I'm in and don't intend to make any changes....because I know TO will cover my losses :surrender:
"
Brent Venables will be the next "B" of a heck OU Head Coach."
EMan

Post by EMan »

Deadline is 6 PM tomorrow. Here's who's in so far...

Aries
Bixby_Sooner
Blue
bvillesooner2
Chiefs16
cushcreekmont
Echo
EMan
Fiascosdad
Fly
formulaS
gcruse7
humblesooner
KySooner
mthatch190
Oklahombre
OldTimer
OU_Tom2
OUcharlie
OU-Native
poh302
Professor
Soonerator
SoonerLynx
SwampSooner
Triple Option
walt
WishBone
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

Get those picks in
Screenshot_20240830-084442.png
Screenshot_20240830-084442.png (59.39 KiB) Viewed 86 times
Triple Option

Post by Triple Option »

Tied for first so far! Woo hoo!!!

OK, a 32-way tie for first, but still.
All that is gold does not glitter.
Not all those who wander are lost.
The old that is strong does not wither.
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.
- Bilbo Baggins
gcruse7

Post by gcruse7 »

If I was prone to conspiracy theories, I'd wonder why, if we are all tied, that EMan is listed as #1, and he just HAPPENS to run the contest. Coincidence...
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." Jim Elliot
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

🤣I think that I need to fix those scores. This is likely my only chance to lead the contest.

And I haven't been knocked out of survivor yet. It is going to be a great day
EMan

Post by EMan »

gcruse7 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 11:20 am If I was prone to conspiracy theories, I'd wonder why, if we are all tied, that EMan is listed as #1, and he just HAPPENS to run the contest. Coincidence...
It's good to be King! :D

Actually, that list is in the order of WHEN everyone turned in their picks. I will always turn in a "gut" pick immediately, just so I have something in in case I can't get to it later. But I usually go back on the day before the deadline and review my selections for any changes I want to make. Since I usually get my picks in first I'm almost always at the top of the initial list. Just wish I was at the top of the list at the end! ;)
EMan

Post by EMan »

Don't miss out on submitting a Week 1 entry. Just 3 hours to go!
Soonerator

Post by Soonerator »

Glad it is football season again. Lots to be thankful for this year.

First, we are in the SEC! Next OU will start chipping away and regain that crimson shine.

Just remember, it takes me a few weeks to warm up so, being tied for third at this point is a good thing.

Let's enjoy another good season of pushing each other to the top and beyond.

John