Softball Fall Ball: Oklahoma host Seminole State @ 6:30 @ Love's

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
OUBeliever56A

Softball Fall Ball: Oklahoma host Seminole State @ 6:30 @ Love's

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The Oklahoma Sooners will be back home in Love's Field on Wednesday night to face Seminole State in a 6:30 PM game(s) between the two annual fall ball prgrams. It wil be the fourth time that the Sooners have taken the field this fall with their rebuilt lineup and team. Last time out, Oklahoma won by the total score of 19-0 over Texas A&M-Commerce on the road in 10-innings.

Things are taking focus for the Sooners with this edition of their team on the field. But in the circle, things are still a bit fuzzy. That is where I would like to see more definition for the Sooners as the Fall schedule approaches the half-way mark.

Pitching thoughts:
  • Hopefully we will get to see Isabella Smith in the circle wearing Crimson and Cream in a fall ball game. We did see here pitch against a couple celebrities and in a practice but a game would be different. What we have seen so far is favorable. We just need to see more.
  • The Lefties: So far, Audrey Lowry has outpitched Kiesrston Deal by a bit. I think for Deal, it is about eliminating the EBHs. It is also about throwing strikes (5 walks in 9.2 IP) and getting ahead in the count. I think for Lowry, she just needs to learn how to pitch at this level. She throws stikes (0 walks/HB in 10.0 IP) but needs to maybe throw a bit more on the edges. Both pitchers could use a few more strikeouts as well.
  • Sam Landry has been the best arm in the circle for the Sooners by quite a margin so far. She has only allowed 2 runs in Battle Series Game #1 and pitched 10.2 innings. she has been good. Her change is a welcome sight and her control and whiffs are good with 1 walk and 11 Ks. Landry just needs to keep being very good.
  • Paytn Monticelli just needs to pitch and bring something else to the plate with her. some sort of pitch that looks and feels differnet than the last pitch or the next pitch. She needs to rebound from her last outing which lasted just one inning in the the Battle Series #2 game as she did not pitch against T A&M-Commerce.
  • Does the Ella Parker and Ailana Agbayani experiment continue? I think they do. To me the Parker usage at pitcher is intriguing in every way. The options are very helpful with no downside. I want to see this continue and see if Parker can regain her form that caused her to be a top recruit originally. Parker looked much better last time out. For Agbayani, if she is a starter in the MIF, it makes less sense to me to use her as a pitcher unles you have to. I am not sure that she can be a pitcher as good as the one's that regularly go to the circle. Maybe in an emergency she can pitch a few innings when needed.
In the Field for the Sooners:
  • At Catcher: Isabela Emerling has had a better bat the last two games and looks to be a competent catcher behind the plate. Riley Zache needs some work behind the plate and has a bat that can help some and she can be a utility player for the Sooners. Corri Hicks has yet to play due to an ankle injury. She is doing more each game before the game and actually wore catching equipment in Texas last Wednesday indicsting maybe bullpen work. If she could play tomight, it would be a good thing. I think Hicks can play and catch. The Sooners needs her to pay soon.
  • At First: Cydney Sanders has had her moments with 2 HRs in the Battle Series games but she is probably not where the Sooners need her to be for 2025 just yet. Ella Parker can simply hit and then she hit a little more. She will be a force for the Sooners in 2025 at the plate. Can she play 1B also, maybe. She has looked good there so far this fall.
  • Up the middle at SS and 2B: We have seen Gabriella Garcia, Ailana Agbayani and Sydney Barker at all three positions. All three have made a play or two that was nice on defense. We have had a few errors also. They can get the job done though and who earnes the starter roles will be determined. With the bats, Agabyani is leading the trio but Garcia has also shown she is a quality hitter as well. Barker has looked better each game and is still hitting with a .300 BA. Agbayani is at a .538 BA and Garcia is at a .444 BA.
  • At Third: Nelly McEnroe-Marinas (NellyMac) has looked every bit like the player to take over at 3B for possibly four years so far. That might be a bit pre-mature but I think it is perhaps correct. She has shown line drive power that is to die for. She has 4 EBH and yet to have a single. She just hits the ball hard. She looks like she could own the plate as she gains confidence. On defense, she looks like she can handle that but we need more balls hit to her to see for sure. She has the ability to handle 3B. Kady McKay has had a couple moments with RBIs at the plate and has had chances at 3B defensively. She is moving from SS though and needs to be given time at 3B. She probably needs more time to adjust to D1.
  • In CF: My guess is that the CF job is Abby Dayton's job to lose. She has looked good there defensively but needs to find the depth that allows her to go to the wall and to catch those little loopers over the infield. Having a .500 BA helps her as well. I would like to see some power soon though with some balls in the gaps to the wall. I do not know who is the 'other' CF at this time to challenge her.
  • Leading in LF and RF: Kasidi Pickering is definatley in one of those positions with 4 EBH, 3 HRs and 7 RBI in 3 games is the reason. She can play all three OF spots if needed. A for the 3rd OF position, three Sooners are making a case. Maya Bland has been consistent in 3 games with a hit in each and 2 EBH (1 HR). She made on judement in error on a ball in LF but she can play defense well enough to be a starter when she is comfortable. Hannah Coor, in her only game that she hit, was effective with a HR an a walk. Seeing more of that will help her as she moves forward from her back issue. She is running well and she has that arm as we all know. Tia Milloy has had that big game inthe leadoff spot with 4 hits but has not done much outside of that game at the plate. Her swing does look good though. she has made a throw from RF to throw out a runner at the plate. Milloy is not out of the running for the 3rd job in the outfield. Chaney Helton is also in the outfield picture and has shown good play on defense making a couple plays on shallow loopers and has mde a nice throw to 3B. She does have superior speed on the bases and on defense. Her bat has been slow to start though. She has had one hit but needs to look better at the plate as she adjusts to D1 softball.
I would guess the game or games tonight will be 2 five-inning games or a ten inning contest with maybe a short break between the two. The weather should be good tonight for the games. It is good to have softball once again tonight to watch in person.

Good luck to all the Sooners tonight.

Boomer Sooner!
Iasooner

Post by Iasooner »

Is the game tomorrow?
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

Wednesday, 6:30 PM
BudaSooner

Post by BudaSooner »

Will it be televised?
Poster previously known as BlackwellSooner
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

No TV tonight.
1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

I watched the game on the Oklahoma Sooners Softball Fan Page on Facebook. Luckily since there was no radio coverage.

Sooners won Game 1 by a score of 6-0 and Game 2 by a score of 10-0.

Boomer!

And Hicks was catching but not hitting.
Did not see Coor play (as far as what I could tell).
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

1KCSoonerFan wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2024 9:39 pm I watched the game on the Oklahoma Sooners Softball Fan Page on Facebook.
I watched an OU game there once. I don't know if all the fall games will be there but that Facebook page certainly streams some of the fall games.

Since this Facebook page might stream more fall games, I added a link to the Useful Softball Links page that is pinned towards the top of the Softball Forum
::rice2:: :dude: