Transfer Portal Rumor - Vawter just entered the Portal

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
waddy's ghost

Post by waddy's ghost »

Bottom post of the previous page:

I was just listening to Chris Plank on KREF and he had some guy named Justim on who he said is in the know on softball transfer portal .I mention that to say this: that Justin thinks Vawter is most likely going to land at OU.
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

I suspect that’s Justin McLeod- he doesn’t tweet that much, but does seem to have the details of “official” news quickly - he’s the first I saw to post several portal entries, including Jocy most recently.
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

waddy's ghost wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:28 am I was just listening to Chris Plank on KREF and he had some guy named Justim on who he said is in the know on softball transfer portal .I mention that to say this: that Justin thinks Vawter is most likely going to land at OU.
That would be a huge PLUS to offset the 3 minuses for sure!
RahOKU

Post by RahOKU »

waddy's ghost wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 10:28 am I was just listening to Chris Plank on KREF and he had some guy named Justim on who he said is in the know on softball transfer portal .I mention that to say this: that Justin thinks Vawter is most likely going to land at OU.
This would be a great "add" for the Sooners. While the foursome of May, Deal, Geurin and Vawter might not match the 2023 staff's numbers, they would be more than good enough for OU to be the leading contender for a fourth consecutive NC, IMO. I really like the dynamic of a multi-headed monster in the circle. It's got to be a relief to not have to be the lead dog all the time.

I hope this materializes. You've got to believe Vawter's goal in entering the portal is similar to those of Trautwein and Storako the past couple of seasons. If Vawter wants the best shot at a ring in her final year of college softball, Oklahoma is it by a large margin. Fans on another board all think Vawter would be a good fit at their school, and maybe so. But OU still has the best 1-9 lineup in the country.

Patty will find the needed backup catcher. I think some of the incoming freshmen are going to be big contributors as well. Plank noted on his show this morning how the four look, athletically, like D1 softball players, ready to go right away. More thrills ahead in Soonerville.

:ou:
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

RahOKU wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:04 pm
This would be a great "add" for the Sooners. While the foursome of May, Deal, Geurin and Vawter might not match the 2023 staff's numbers, they would be more than good enough for OU to be the leading contender for a fourth consecutive NC, IMO. I really like the dynamic of a multi-headed monster in the circle. It's got to be a relief to not have to be the lead dog all the time.

I hope this materializes. You've got to believe Vawter's goal in entering the portal is similar to those of Trautwein and Storako the past couple of seasons. If Vawter wants the best shot at a ring in her final year of college softball, Oklahoma is it by a large margin. Fans on another board all think Vawter would be a good fit at their school, and maybe so. But OU still has the best 1-9 lineup in the country.

Patty will find the needed backup catcher. I think some of the incoming freshmen are going to be big contributors as well. Plank noted on his show this morning how the four look, athletically, like D1 softball players, ready to go right away. More thrills ahead in Soonerville.

:ou:
Agreed RahOKU. Who knows, we may have someone on the team now that is a perfect fit as backup catcher. With Kinzie's injury history, I can't imagine both Nugent and Erickson leaving without there being possibly some other plan already in place.
ColleyvilleSooner

Post by ColleyvilleSooner »

There is discussion on an OU Facebook page that Vawter was seen in Norman this week. The original source is Rylie Boone telling her Dad who is friends with the FB page poster. If true, Vawter still might just be taking a visit. Who knows?

OK, I get it. This would not be admissible as evidence in a court of law, and we have all seen these type of rumors before, like the neighbor whose coworker knows someone who is a realtor and was seen with Nick Saban's wife looking at luxury homes in Austin TX. But for our purposes it is at least something in a time of no news, so I thought I would pass it along.
Sooneryankee13

Post by Sooneryankee13 »

ColleyvilleSooner wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:00 am There is discussion on an OU Facebook page that Vawter was seen in Norman this week. The original source is Rylie Boone telling her Dad who is friends with the FB page poster. If true, Vawter still might just be taking a visit. Who knows?

OK, I get it. This would not be admissible as evidence in a court of law, and we have all seen these type of rumors before, like the neighbor whose coworker knows someone who is a realtor and was seen with Nick Saban's wife looking at luxury homes in Austin TX. But for our purposes it is at least something in a time of no news, so I thought I would pass it along.
Vawter couldn't be on campus she's in South Africa on a mission trip
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Does anyone know when her mission trip is supposed to be completed?
aka Crimson47
ColleyvilleSooner

Who knows, maybe the guy meant last week or the week before. He's from the greater Tulsa area and says he is friends with Rylie's Dad who passed the info along. Or maybe it's total BS. Again, this is just one of those message board rumors which should be taken with a grain of salt. But if Vawter is on a Christian mission trip, she should be a good cultural fit at OU. :)
ColleyvilleSooner

An OU Facebook page has posts reporting a U. of Wisconsin freshman pitcher Paytn Monticelli will transfer to OU. She is 6-2" and is very large framed, a high school phenom with a 2.71 ERA as a freshman at Wisconsin. If this is true I am assuming Patty is building for the next three years.

The same FB page also has multiple posts stating Vawter and Kern of Indiana visited OU last week. Someone screenshoted a Twitter post from Soonerscoop reporting this. I hope we get Vawter because she can be a major impact pitcher immediately.
Oldsoftballfan

Post by Oldsoftballfan »

Not impressed with Stats of this pitcher! Was hoping for better🤷‍♀️
JSULL60

Post by JSULL60 »

:ou: Dont think Patty would taker just have a warm body who is a pitcher. I agree her ERA is a little high but lets not forget we got the best pitching coach in the country.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Oldsoftballfan wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:55 pm Not impressed with Stats of this pitcher! Was hoping for better🤷‍♀️
Hit the 'thanks' button instead of the quote button.
What I was trying to say is that Monticelli didn't have Rocha for her pitching coach last year.
I'm guessing if she had been at OU instead of WI last year, she might have even been redshirted, or at best saw minimal innings much like Deal.
aka Crimson47
ColleyvilleSooner

Each scholarship is precious so Patty must see great potential in Monticelli. The Wisconsin pitcher is physically imposing and presumably throws hard. With Rocha coaching her, who knows, maybe she will be a dominant pitcher in a couple of years. Storako improved significantly in just one season under Rocha. For the sake of four peating next season I really hope we get Vawter who is an immediate impact pitcher.
Sooneryankee13

Post by Sooneryankee13 »

ColleyvilleSooner wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:17 pm An OU Facebook page has posts reporting a U. of Wisconsin freshman pitcher Paytn Monticelli will transfer to OU. She is 6-2" and is very large framed, a high school phenom with a 2.71 ERA as a freshman at Wisconsin. If this is true I am assuming Patty is building for the next three years.

The same FB page also has multiple posts stating Vawter and Kern of Indiana visited OU last week. Someone screenshoted a Twitter post from Soonerscoop reporting this. I hope we get Vawter because she can be a major impact pitcher immediately.
Vawter hasn't taken any visits anywhere she is in South Africa on a mission trip until July 14th she's been there since last week she's been posting pictures from there as of today. I've heard kern visited but vawter hasn't. Doesn't mean we won't get her though.
BudaSooner

Post by BudaSooner »

Has anyone heard where Vawter is going? She is presumably back from her Africa trip, as of 7-14.
Poster previously known as BlackwellSooner