Venables Announces Defensive Staff Change

Discussions on any and all things OU men's sports
RussC

Post by RussC »

Bottom post of the previous page:

paboomersooner wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:00 pm Does this look legit?

BREAKING NEWS🚨: Oklahoma is expected to hire former Clemson staffer and current Jacksonville State’s defensive coordinator Zac Alley to be its new defensive coordinator, per 247Sports.

Zac Alley helped Jacksonville State win 9 games and rank 33rd nationally in scoring defense in its first season at the FBS level. He previously worked under Brent Venables at Clemson in 2012-2018.
Sounds plausible on the face of it
#Mentally In Portal
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

Personally I think its a great and kinda predictable choice.
Opinions are still "OK" ...Correct?
WishBone

Post by WishBone »

WishBone

Post by WishBone »

JoeSooner

Post by JoeSooner »

Good. Nothing against Ted, but he's clearly on the backside of his career and didn't seem to bring a lot of juice in recruiting or the linebacker play frankly. An energetic up-and-comer who's building a career is probably what we needed, and what a lot of people wanted when Roof was hired initially.
I make big plays in big games, that's all.
Zgeo

Post by Zgeo »

Saw that BV wants to spend more time as HC rather than defense primary focus, that can only help, HC oversight is needed in many places….

:BV: :BV: :BV: :eyes:
SD-OU

Post by SD-OU »

Never understood the Roof hire. Excited for this one though.
Oklahombre

Post by Oklahombre »

Will the rest of the defensive staff stay the same? I wonder if he has some coaches he wants to bring in. Does he specialize in coaching at any certain position group? (linebackers) I wonder if any of the current coaches feel passed over? :confusedplus:
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

Since Alley is a Brent clone (his words), would lead one to think that he might just hang around for a decade or so waiting for his "Oklahoma" job to come open. This might just be a very good move on Brent's part.
OU Chinaman

Post by OU Chinaman »

...Ryan Aber, The Oklahoman

ZAC ALLEY-
"For me, we're going to do whatever it takes to win. We'll have our base alignments that go in, but we'll look at different shapes and sizes.
It's going to look different based on who we play and I want it to becauseI don't want other teams to be able to prepare for what they've seen on film..
I want to get the offense back on their heels and dictate what they do to me and not the other way around."

When asked if his youth gave him a chip on his shoulder,

"I think I've always had that chip honestly. Not that I didn't belong but maybe I was overlooked because I wasn't a college player, so I'm going to outwork you.
I'm going to teach better than you do.
I'm going to prepare more than you do and we're going to win because of that.
That's something I hang my hat on is, I firmly believe I'm going to outwork you."

I'm likning what I'm hearing about the new SOONER DC! :cool:

:ou: :ou: :ou: :rice:
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

On an off topic, Brent isn't the only one making changes......Brian Kelly has released his entire defensive staff after going 10-3 for this season and 10-4 for last season. One of the four was Kerry Cooks (2015-2018 OU assistant DC). It cost LSU a little more than $5 mil to buy out these coaches. One of the coaches that is rumored to be headed to LSU is Missouri's DC, Blake Baker. Uh-oh! for those that signed with Misery.
Oklahombre

Post by Oklahombre »

AllSooner wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:23 pm On an off topic, Brent isn't the only one making changes......Brian Kelly has released his entire defensive staff after going 10-3 for this season and 10-4 for last season. One of the four was Kerry Cooks (2015-2018 OU assistant DC). It cost LSU a little more than $5 mil to buy out these coaches. One of the coaches that is rumored to be headed to LSU is Missouri's DC, Blake Baker. Uh-oh! for those that signed with Misery.
Speaking of Missouri and the DC, I found this. Surely this is not serious. :dude:

captnop

Post by captnop »

If they hire Grinch ... thats a home run hire !!!!!!!!!!!! For the rest of the SEC, not them.
RussC

Post by RussC »

captnop wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:26 pm If they hire Grinch ... thats a home run hire !!!!!!!!!!!! For the rest of the SEC, not them.
Yep. I gotta expect at some point Grinch will no longer be considered for DC jobs at the power conference level.
#Mentally In Portal
AllSooner

Post by AllSooner »

captnop wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:26 pm If they hire Grinch ... thats a home run hire !!!!!!!!!!!! For the rest of the SEC, not them.
Not only a home run......but it proves There Is A God!
Pokerman

Post by Pokerman »

AllSooner wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:48 pm
Not only a home run......but it proves There Is A God!
All those stud defensive players Mizzou signed (e.g., Nwaneri) must be pooping bricks about now.