Sooner Softball: OU downs BYU 13-2: Big 12 Finals vs UT! Boomer!

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
OUBeliever56A

Sooner Softball: OU downs BYU 13-2: Big 12 Finals vs UT! Boomer!

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The Oklahoma Sooners played very well on Friday as they defeated BYU 13-2 behind a five-person attack that showed the depth of the Sooners. The win moves the Sooners into the Big 12 Finals vs Texas who defeated Baylor 14-3 in the late game last night. The Sooners are 48-6. The Longhorns are 47-6.

Against BYU, Kierston Deal added another very nice start to her growing list of those. She carried a no-hitter into the top of the 5th and got the first two outs of the inning. Then a little lazy line drive landed safely in the grass over Hodge at 2nd base and Lilio in RF for a single that broke up the no-hit big. Unfortunately, the next batter, Morrow, found a pitch in the hitting zone and got all her bat on the ball and hit a 2-run HR to CF. Deal's no-hitter and shutout were both gone in two swings. But she righted herself and got the final out on a groundball to 2B. Deal allowed 2 hits, 2 walks, 1 HB, 2 runs and picked up 4 Ks in her 5 innings of work. Deal picked up her 12th win and her 6th complete game of the season. The lone error of the game was by Deal on a nice fielding play in the circle but as she turned and threw to second she threw the ball low and away for a throwing error. It was a nice play with a quick turn and throw until she let go of the ball. But the error and the HR does not spoil her very good pitching effort last night.

On defense, behind Deal I thought Brito made a very nice play on a ball hit to her left that she left her feet to catch and then made a nice throw to first from her knees. Pickering also had a long running catch of a fly ball in RF. Hansen also got up from her crouch behind the plate to make an easy catch on a little popup to her right.

[Edit: Wow, I can't believe I forgot this. In the top of the 2nd inning, runners on first and second, Torres made a very nice play on a decent line drive up the middle as she moved to her right, caught the ball and then turned and threw quickly to 1st base for force out for a unassisted double play. I was just watching the replay and I was justifiably reminded of it. Torres was shaded up the middle with the runners on base, but it was still a very nice play.]

In Deal's last five starts, Wichita State, Tulsa, Hosuton, UCF and BYU, Deal is 5-0 with 30.1 innings pitched. Deal has allowed 7 hits, 3 runs, 2 earned, 4 walks, 3 HB and 31 Ks in those starts. That is a very good stretch of starts by Deal. I agree with many posters, it does seem that Deal is very suited for a starting pitchers role, right now. If she could work on her relief efforts, she can become a complete pitcher going forward as she has had four rough relief appearences in that stretch as well. I will add, that as a freshman, she had two very good relief efforts down the stretch last season.

On offense, the Sooners had four hitters that led the way. Those four were:
  • Ella Parker - 3 hits in 4 at bats, 2 runs and 3 RBIs with a double and a HR. (the only two EBH by the Sooners.)
  • Alyssa Brito - 3 hits in 3 at bats, 3 runs, 2 RBIs.
  • Kasidi Pickering - 2 hits in 2 at bats with 3 RBIs and a stolen base.
Kinzie Hansen - 2 hits in 3 at bats and 2 RBIs, 1 run and 2 RBIs.

Two defensive subs, Coor and Hodge added a single with an RBI by Coor and a SFLY by Hodge.

The Sooners collected 13 hits in 20 at bats. That is just what the doctor has been prescribing. They also picked up 5 walks against just one K. The Sooners only left 4 runners on base. In the last two games, the Sooners have left 9 runners on base out of 34 base runners for 26.5%. That is much better.

Moving to tonight's game vs Texas. This could be a big one. Big in one way - With probably the two best teams in the country facing each other one more time. In their first three games, Oklahoma won 5-2 in the first game before Texas won twice in 2-1 games. The series was very close. Believe or not, OU might have pitched their best series of the season against Texas considering the offense of Texas. Texas probably pitched their best series of the season considering the Sooner offense.

The pitching matchup in that series were like this; Game #1 - Maxwell vs Morgan, Czech. Game #2 - May, Deal, Monticelli, Keeney vs Gutierrez. Game #3 - Maxwell vs Kavan, Czech.

Who will pitch today? For Texas it looks like it will be Gutierrez as she has not pitched in the last two days. Morgan started and Czech relieved on Thursday. Kavan start yesterday with Simpson pitching one inning in relief. So, it will be Gutierrez time today I think. Gutierrez is 1-3 versus the Sooners in her two-year career as OU defeated her three times in 2023. Looking at that, could Coach Mike White swap things and start Morgan? I do not think so. I think he has planned to pitch Gutierrez in the finals all week.

For the Sooners, it seems like there is a bit of a debate amongst Sooner fans. Some feel it will be Maxwell and some feel it will be Keeney, or should be Keeney.

I will say that Keeney has pitched well in her last three outings, 2 in relief and 1 start against OSU last weekend. She tossed 10.0 in the series and allowed 0 runs, 4 hits (all singles) and 4 walks in those outings with 5 Ks. The one thing about Keeney is that she does pitch mainly low in the zone and picks up a lot of ground ball usually. That could be a key against Texas with the Sooner defense in the infield.

But, Maxwell is groomed for this role, right. She was picked up from the portal for this role I think. Against Texas in Austin, she did pitch well. 11.2 IP, 6 hits, (1 double, 1 triple, 1 HR) 4 runs, 4 walks. 1 HB and 16 Ks. To me, the 16Ks is a key. She can get a big, strikeout with a runner on third to get out of a jam. Maxwell had a pretty good run from the first game against BYU to the two games she pitched against UCF recently.

The selection of the two of them is a big choice. I think Maxwell will start. I also think Keeney can be very good in relief, if needed, behind her. May could be good in a relief role also.

Tonight's game is going to be pretty tense i think. The Longhorn lineup does not have a weak spot. Only Goode (2B) has a batting average below .372. Since moving into the leadoff role, Maloney has been great as her average is .437. Scott, Atwood and Stewart are formidable as hitters in the 2nd, 4th and 5th spots. Mitchell in the 6th spot, can be dangerous with runners on base. There will be lots of big pitches tonight against Texas.

On offense, the Sooner lineup seems to have settle in with a lineup of Coleman, Parker, Jennings, Brito, Hansen, Pickering Torres, Boone and Sanders lately. Maybe tonight we see Boone slide back down to 9th spot to set the table for the top of the lineup. The Sooners could benefit from a good night by Jennings and Sanders tonight I think. Maybe that is the key. The other spots seem to be contributing regularly.

The week has produced lots of surprises. In the SEC the finals is between Florida and Missouri. the Big Ten finals is between Indiana and Michigan. The PAC 12 finals is between Utah and UCLA.

I think most of the NCAA Softball talking heads, including ESPN, think that this year is the year of Texas. I think the reigning three year champs, Oklahoma put a bit of a dent in that thought tonight. Yeah, that is my heart talking loudly. I am glad about listening to my heart on this one. If my heart is wrong, there are two weekends of softball eft to get to the WCWS to get the chance at Natty #8 and that 4-in-a-row thing. Tonight's game means very little actually. Both teams are Top 4 seeds in the tourney, maybe Top 3, or 2 seeds.

But I think it means a great deal lot to this group of players. The Original Five (Hansen, Boone, Coleman, Jennings and May) the added group of Torres, Sanders, Maxwell, Keeney and Ludlam all want this game tonight. This collection of players, including the younger players, want to continue the dominance one more year, one more time. One more time for them for their own individual reasons. My heart believes in them. I think the hearts of Sooner nation does as well.

Good luck to the Sooners tonight! In a way, they are playing with house money as they really can't lose. Texas can lose though. They could lose the #1 seed. They have to prove they are real. Maybe the defense fails them tonight on a big stage. They managed to not have that happen in Austin. Maybe the fourth time is the "charm".

Boomer Sooner!
TN Sooner

Post by TN Sooner »

I’d like to also recognize Brito’s play in foul territory- looked impressive on the tv shot - which was from behind home plate. But we were mostly blocked by the dugout (could only really see her head and mitt). It’s possible she had more room than it appeared, but was a nice play.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Keeney and Maxwell do seem like the best choices available for tonight's matchup with Tejas. I like that Karlie can consistently get the batter to hit into ground outs. But once in awhile one of those ground balls finds a hole in the infield, and after a walk or two could be costly in a low scoring game. I agree that Maxwell probably gets the call tonight, with May and Keeney in reserve. From what I have read on this board, and on others, I've been led to believe that KellyMax just has more arrows in her quiver, or tools in her toolbox so to speak. I would much rather be getting strike outs than ground outs against this team we will face tonight.

as for the shorthorns, have to also agree about Gutierrez. A tejas fan on another board seems to feel that way as well. However, Kavan only worked four innings last night, kind of a warm up, so it's not out of the question we see her at some point during the game. Maybe the first one out of the pen if it comes to that. Kavan, I strongly feel, is Texas' version of Bahl this year. And like Bahl, it's hard to keep the ball out of her hands. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see her start again tonight. Against Baylor, she only threw 59 pitches to 17 batters, about 3-4 per batter. She won't be tired.

As for hitting-----it's mandatory that the Sooners figure out a way to hit their pitchers. I'm probably wrong about this, but this doesn't seem like the same Texas team we faced mid-season. They appear to me now to be much more relaxed and confident and are simply crushing the ball. They will get hits against whoever we pitch tonight. They will score runs. We will have to match that. I think that whoever puts up the first 3-4 runs in a bunch may grab that psychological "edge" of momentum, and whichever team grabs it first, it will be hard to get it back.

Good Luck to our Sooners tonight!
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

TN Sooner wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:24 am I’d like to also recognize Brito’s play in foul territory- looked impressive on the tv shot - which was from behind home plate. But we were mostly blocked by the dugout (could only really see her head and mitt). It’s possible she had more room than it appeared, but was a nice play.
Thanks for adding this about Brito's play. Yes, it was right up against the dugout and was a fine play.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

TropicalSooner wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 10:42 am Keeney and Maxwell do seem like the best choices available for tonight's matchup with Tejas. I like that Karlie can consistently get the batter to hit into ground outs. But once in awhile one of those ground balls finds a hole in the infield, and after a walk or two could be costly in a low scoring game. I agree that Maxwell probably gets the call tonight, with May and Keeney in reserve. From what I have read on this board, and on others, I've been led to believe that KellyMax just has more arrows in her quiver, or tools in her toolbox so to speak. I would much rather be getting strike outs than ground outs against this team we will face tonight.

as for the shorthorns, have to also agree about Gutierrez. A tejas fan on another board seems to feel that way as well. However, Kavan only worked four innings last night, kind of a warm up, so it's not out of the question we see her at some point during the game. Maybe the first one out of the pen if it comes to that. Kavan, I strongly feel, is Texas' version of Bahl this year. And like Bahl, it's hard to keep the ball out of her hands. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see her start again tonight. Against Baylor, she only threw 59 pitches to 17 batters, about 3-4 per batter. She won't be tired.

As for hitting-----it's mandatory that the Sooners figure out a way to hit their pitchers. I'm probably wrong about this, but this doesn't seem like the same Texas team we faced mid-season. They appear to me now to be much more relaxed and confident and are simply crushing the ball. They will get hits against whoever we pitch tonight. They will score runs. We will have to match that. I think that whoever puts up the first 3-4 runs in a bunch may grab that psychological "edge" of momentum, and whichever team grabs it first, it will be hard to get it back.

Good Luck to our Sooners tonight!
Consider this about Texas being a different team.

Texas is very good though and they have played above their heads on defense as of late. But lets look at the schedule. Texas has played Texas State (good mid-major team with Mullins in the circle), Baylor (giving up a bunch of runs), Kansas (who started a slump), Nichols State, Iowa State and Texas Tech after the two series with OSU and OU (where they went 3-3. In fact OU was 2-4 and OSU was 4-2 in those two series.) The winning streak of 18 games have not been against very tough competition after the two wins against OU and maybe the win against Texas State. There are no tourney teams in the other 15 games. So the streak is just a streak with 15 games against poor competition.

The Texas offense is very good. Their BA go like this; .437, .419, .372, .435 (22 HRs), .406 (12 HRs), .385, .372 (speed), .261 and .389. That is strong and about equal to Oklahoma's numbers but fewer HRs (OU has 100 HRs, Texas has 78).

In the circle the Longhorns are good also. Their Team ERA is 1.88 with under a 1.00 WHIP per inning and but a low K/IP around .70/IP. Their Team BAA is .196 so they are not overpowering, but they manage their pitching well. The sum is better than the parts perhaps.

Oklahoma ERA is 1.86. Their WHIP is 1.10 and their BAA against is .190. The Sooners pickup pickup .94 K/IP. Perhaps the biggest difference in pitching is that Texas give up a few less EBH, 61 to 68.

But the defense is the difference. Texas has 52 errors and a .965 Fielding %. Oklahoma has only 28 errors and a .980 Fielding %. At some point that will likely be a difference in four games.