Help me get this straight

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
SwampSooner

Help me get this straight

Post by SwampSooner »

Texas won the regular season and we won the tournament. I know we get the automatic NCAA bid, but who is considered the Big XII softball champion?
MsProudSooner

Post by MsProudSooner »

If it's like basketball, there is a trophy given to the regular season champion and a trophy given to the tournament champion.
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

I remember this discussion in '22 when we won the regular season and OSU beat us 3-2 to win the tournament. There is a trophy for each and the tournament winner gets the auto-bid.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

SoonerGirl1201 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:41 pm I remember this discussion in '22 when we won the regular season and OSU beat us 3-2 to win the tournament. There is a trophy for each and the tournament winner gets the auto-bid.
You are correct SG. And both teams get rings and acknowledged at halftime at one of the fall football games. (Just like in '22)
aka Crimson47
Bixby_Sooner

Post by Bixby_Sooner »

SwampSooner wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:37 pm Texas won the regular season and we won the tournament. I know we get the automatic NCAA bid, but who is considered the Big XII softball champion?
I think the media has always given more credibility to the winner of the post season tournament in any sport. I'm not sure why, maybe because they don't cover said teams on a regular basis until the post season tournament. As others have said there are 2 championships, but the media will almost always refer to the post season conference tournament champion as "the champion". I think that is also a consideration in post season tournament seeding by the various committees. At least, I don't recall any references made to regular season championships (unless they win both titles) as a basis for seeding.
A commitment is NOT a reservation - Brent Venables 3/21/22