OU Women's Gymnastics Meet in SLC tonight!

This is the forum to follow our National Champions Gymnastics team
OUBeliever56A

OU Women's Gymnastics Meet in SLC tonight!

Post by OUBeliever56A »

The Oklahoma Women's Gymnastics team travels to Salt Lake City to compete with the #4 rated Utah Red Rocks team at 8:30 PM tonight. (The squad nickname of "Red Rocks' is very unique. I did not know this as I thought they were the 'Utes'.)

https://soonersports.com/news/2022/1/13 ... -meet.aspx

The Utah squad has won their three matches this season with a score of 197.100 each time. They have defeated #19 BYU and #25 Southern Utah.

OU, rated #3, defeated Alabama in their first match of the young season with a 197.400 score. Alabama was rated #5 in the country.

The arena tonight in SLC is sold out from the reports. It seats 15,000. That's right, 15,000. It should be a great atmosphere for the home team. That is an amazing crowd. I guess it shows that the Norman area can do better supporting its great OU Women's Gymnastics team. (Along with a few other teams at OU also.)

The game is going to be televised on ESPN2 at 8:30 - 10:00 PM tonight. (I will have to watch my recording of Blue Bloods on Saturday I guess.)

Good luck to the OU Women!

Boomer Sooner!
AustinTXSooner

Post by AustinTXSooner »

Well we lost 197.775-196.650

We had two falls on the beam and had to eat a 9.150 score. I thought everything looked good until the 3rd rotation when we were on the floor and they were on the beam. I was noticing that the beam scores were higher than I expected for Utah, considering the number of balance checks and steps on the dismount that were happening. When we flipped over to the beam, the scores didn't seem to be so generous. I thought Audrey Davis and Ragan Smith should have had 10.0 routines (the Utah announcers thought so too). Audrey inexplicably got a 9.850, but Ragan got a 9.975.

Probably wouldn't have mattered though. We did have two gymnasts fall on the beam and a couple of significant errors on the floor as well. The only event that we beat them on was bars.

They may have sold 15,000 tickets, but if they had 10,000 show up, I'd be surprised. The few crowd shots looked about half full. Still, it was a big advantage for them.

Grace McCallum of Utah won the all around with a 39.675.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

I will add this to 'AustinTXSooner' recap.

Here is the article from the OU Women Gymnasts last night in SLC against Utah. Lindsey Morrison wrote the article.

https://soonersports.com/news/2022/1/14 ... recap.aspx

I was able to watch the event last night. The men's BB game on ESPN2 ran past 8:30 however as the broadcast missed a couple of the OU vaults and a couple of the Utah bar routines.

As mentioned above, the biggest difference for the two teams was the Beam event. On beam, the Sooners had to use a score of 9.150 as two of the Sooners fell from the 4-inch beam. The beam was the final event for the Sooners and once the 2nd Sooner fell, Utah owned the match.

The first two rotations had OU performing on the Bars, then the Vault. Utah performed first on the Vault and then on the Bars.

On the Vault - the Sooners were lead by (FR) Jordan Bowers with a 9.975 meaning that one judge gave her a 10.0 the other awarded a 9.95. But the Sooners had to count a 9.775 on the vault. Utah's lowest score used was 9.850. Utah held a 0.125 advantage on the Vault.

On the Bars - the Sooners were lead by Audrey Davis (SO) with a 0.9925. The lowest score used for OU on the vault was 9.850. Utah's lowest score used was 9.850 also. OU had 3 score of 9.9 or better, Utah had 1. The Sooners topped the Red Rocks by 0.100 on Bars.

After the first two events, Utah lead OU by 0.025 with scores of 98.800 to 98.775.

The third rotation had OU on the Floor with Utah on the Beam.

OU once again was lead by Jordan Bowers with a strong 9.900 score. But OU had to count a 9.725 due to a (step-out penalty) for their Floor total of 49.200. The commentators were very happy with the Carly Woodward (SR) routine on the Floor as they noted no visual deductions. But Woodward's score was 9.875. Maybe her routine did not have the difficulty required for a higher score however.

On the Beam, Utah really 'rocked' the rotation. Utah had four 9.9 or better with three 9.925s. Their lowest score used was a 9.800.

Utah increased this lead over OU with a team score of 49.475 to OU's 49.200. Utah's lead was now 148.275 to 147.975 for an overall lead of 0.325. For OU to outpoint Utah by 0.350 while performing on the Beam versus the Floor exercise for Utah would be very difficult. The math just requires Utah to perform very poorly on the Floor.

Utah did not falter at all on their Floor exercises. They posted three 9.9s or better with Grace McCallum (FR) earning a 9.975 receiving one 10 for her routine. The lowest the Red Rocks counted on the floor was 9.825. Utah's team score was 49.500.

OU on the Beam started very well with Jenna Dunn (JR) earning a personal best of 9.925 on her beam routine (the announces shared the personal best info). Ragan Smith (JR) had the only other 9.9 or better routine on the Beam for Oklahoma. She scored a great 9.975 with one 10 awarded from one judge. But with two gymnast falling, the low score counted was a 9.150. OU's team score on the Beam was 48.675.

The final team scores for the match were Utah - 197.775 to Oklahoma - 196.650. Utah outpointed the Sooners by 1.125.

In the All-Around event, Grace McCallum totalled 39.675 to outpoint Jordan Bowers with 39.550 and Audrey Davis with 39.375. McCallum is the reigning Silver Medalist from the recent Olympics. I thought she was very good last night.

The 'sold out' arena was not full of people but they did provide a great deal of energy for the Utah gymnasts. The broadcast did show a graphic that showed the top attendances for top women's programs in D1. The graphic showed the top 5 gymnastic programs that were averaging at least 8,600 average for attendance. Utah was #1 for Gymnastics and all women's sports averaging 15,273 attendance. The other four gymnastic schools were all SEC teams. (LSU, Alabama, Georgia and Florida) The other six programs were basketball programs.

Oklahoma was off just a bit last night. They probably only stuck the landing on 1 or maybe 2 routines during each rotation. The beam was the toughest device for the Sooners last night and with it being the last device for the Sooners caused a tight contest to look lopsided in the end.

It looks like that the Sooners are in a three team event in Tucson AZ next Saturday at 5 PM. The three teams are Arizona, Stanford and Oklahoma.

Boomer Sooner!
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

It definitely was not OU’s best meet last night. In fact, I am not sure that OU has had a score this low in a few years. I trying to finds some stats but they might not exist unless you have the time to pour thru the archives on soonersports.

OUBeliever and AustinTXSooner did a good job of covering the highs, lows, how Utah got all the breaks especially from the refs. Thanks to the 2 of you for the reports.

OU did fine for the first 2 events ( all thought they weren’t quite as sharp as they could be.) Utah and the refs turned the afterburners on in the 3rd event and the wrong team fell off the beam. OU was good last night ; just not superlative like we have seen for the last few years.

This team have a lot of very good gymnasts. As the year goes on, we are going to see OU’s score go back up to the high end of 197 on a regular basis. They will get healthier and more consistent as the year goes on. They are one of the best teams in the country and I expect them to be fighting for one of the top spots in the NCAA championship.

I am excited that they have been on ESPN/ ESPN2 the first two weeks of the season. Usually they aren’t on tv so I have to follow the meets on Twitter. It is must funner to watch them on tv.

I am envious that Utah is able to pack that place. Good for their fans. If I didn’t live 6 hours from Norman, I would love to attend OU’s gymnastics meets.

I am hopeful that I can get softball tickets when they play later in the year in Houston and Austin
::rice2:: :dude:
OU_Tom

Post by OU_Tom »

In the All-Around event, Grace McCallum totalled 39.675 to outpoint Jordan Bowers with 39.550 and Audrey Davis with 39.375. McCallum is the reigning Silver Medalist from the recent Olympics. I thought she was very good last night.
those 3 scores were pretty good. Too bad we couldn't snag an Olympian. I think a bunch of US Olympians are heading off to college. Bowers was elite.

::rice2:: :dude:
AustinTXSooner

Post by AustinTXSooner »

The new NIL rules basically allow the Olympians to make commercials and keep their eligibility for the next Olympics. They listed all of the Olympians in the NCAA this year during the Utah meet. Not all of them are from the US team. Utah has one from the US team and at least one from the England/Great Britain team.