My Thoughts on Potential Recruits for the Class of 2025

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
TropicalSooner

My Thoughts on Potential Recruits for the Class of 2025

Post by TropicalSooner »

As we get closer to Sept 1st, I start thinking about what prospects are out there that might be the next group incoming freshmen for the fall of 2025. They will be HS Juniors this fall and can be contacted by colleges wanting them to come be a part of their programs on Sept 1st. So what prospects are out there that I think might be good future Sooners?

First I thought about what positions might be needing some extra help. It wouldn't be very helpful to suggest a bunch of infielders right after taking a class that had 4 of them on top of the 4 we already had. Trying to figure out who is going to be playing where this coming season is a daunting task, much less TWO years down the road.....but ya gotta start somewhere, right?

Long gone are the Magnificent Seven plus Three from the '23-'24 season. And interestingly, our first season in the SEC, we will be a very young team. Barring an incoming transfer, Cydney Sanders will be the only Senior on the '24-'25 season team. By my calculation, for the '25-'26 season, we will have 18 on the roster. In my head I've broken it down like this:
Outfielders: Parker, Pickering, Helton, Coor, Lilio?
Infielders: Sanders, Hodge, Barker, McEnroe-Marinas, Milloy, McKay, Bland, Garcia?
Catcher: Hicks
Pitchers: Deal, Lowry, Geurin, Monticelli
Obviously I've got a lot of IF listed above but also we've seen Coach Gasso work magic taking "Shortstop Players" coming on to campus as incoming freshmen and transforming them into whatever the team needs might be. Cases in point:
Coleman, Brito, Torres, Coor. All came to OU either as freshmen or transfers with shortstop as their current position. Yes, Coor came in as a shortstop her freshman year. Anyway, my point is we may wind up seeing Bland, or Milloy, Garcia, or maybe someone else moving to positions on the field far from where they have played their HS and travel ball careers.
But as it stands right now or if the above shuffling doesn't happen, then we may be a little light in the outfield, certainly at catcher, and to me pitcher. With the expected players to be on the team at that point, I see four pitchers. My minimum for safety is five, but if there are two in the prospects we can get, go for it. A redshirt option is always available if need be.

---------

Before I started looking to see which '25 grads might be prospects for coming to Norman, I first went to whatever information I could find as to which players had participated in one or more of "Patty Gasso Camps". My thinking was that if they were interested in seeing what being a Sooner is all about, then they've probably been to at least one camp to find out. I thought the odds were stacked better that way.
The prospects below with an * after their name are ones I've been able to identify that have attended a camp in either Norman, or in Calif that Patty hosted out there after the Travelball Championship games.

Below are the '25 prospects that I like with latest HS stats or EIS leaderboard stats I could find:
Pitchers
Name---------------------W------L-----IP--------ERA------SO-----BB----SHO---Source
Sophia Bordi*------------16-----3----121.1----0.40-----274-----17-----10---Soph HS stats
Allyssa Parker*----------16-----1----106.0----0.26-----127-----28------0----Soph HS stats
Hannah "Goose" Wells*-24-----4----NA-------1.06-----153-----27-----NA---Soph HS stats
Presley Harrison*-------20-----3----150.1----0.32-----255-----14-----NA---Soph HS stats
Berkley Zache*----------16-----1----107.2---0.13-----251-------7------5----Soph HS stats

Outfielders:
Name----------------------ave-----GP----PA-----AB----R-----H-------D-----T----HR-----RBI----SB-----SLG-----OBP
Kia Minor*----------------.500-----50---165---136----67---40------13-----3----12------33------0----.904-----.507---EIS Leaderboard stats
Ana Roman*--------------.408-- --27----99----76----35----31-------5-----0----16------32-----10-----NA------.549---Soph HS stats

Infielders:
Elsa Morrison SS---------.468---NA----197---154----71----72-----16-----0-----24----82------12----1.039----.519---EIS leaderboard stats

Catchers:
Anna Hinde* C/3B------.509---21-----82-----57----36---29-----12------0------7-----26-------5-----1.087----.659---Soph HS stats

Others to consider:
Kendall Wells* C
Melody Acevedo SS

It seems like Coach Gasso likes to have a roster census of 20 or 21. So we may wind up not taking more than 2-4 new recruits. With the power we think we will have on the team at that time, I could see focusing on bolstering the pitching and catching staffs. Hicks will be our primary catcher of course, but we need somebody to give her relief or play if she gets injured. We did well with two primary catchers when we had Hansen and Elam. Wouldn't hurt to have a third on the roster...or at least a position player familiar with catching ala Torres.

Bordi is a must have to me but I would definitely like to get another pitcher along with her.

Anna Hinde wrote a review of her visit to one of Patty's camps a couple of years ago that is definitely worth reading if you haven't already. You can find it at the link below:
https://extrainningsoftball.com/inside- ... ects-camp/

As much as Morrison is high on my list, I think that may be a long shot. In researching her stats, I stumbled on some twitter msgs from her regarding some camps she has been to. Texas, A&M, LSU, Fla St, Tenn a couple of times, but nothing I saw referencing Oklahoma. I don't know if we are not what she wants or if there is something there the coaches have seen that cooled them off from inviting her to a camp. On appearances, it seems she will be a huge get for somebody.

I know a lot of you follow recruiting and prospects in much more depth than I can, so feel free to throw darts at my picks above, and offer up your own favorites to be our future Sooner Champions.
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

First comment, your work is impressive. Thank you very much.

Second comment is that I never knew that Coor played SS. The first time I saw her she was playing a very good OF and hitting well enough to maintain a starting job in the outfield for the OC Batbusters - Stith. Someone did a lot of work changing her throwing motion if she ever played the infield; let alone SS.

Third comment, I think Maya Bland will primarily play the outfield for the Sooners. I also think that she will be one four outfielders that will play most of the time in 2024-2025. Those four are, Pickering, Bland, Helton and Parker some of the time when someone else is playing DP or 1B.

4th comment - I think Parker will play more of 1B than the OF, but probably more at DP.

5th comment - Yes, Garcia will play the infield after watching her play this summer. i think 2B and could likely start there. I think Milloy has lost a year this year and she needs to make up some time somehow.

6th comment - I think a possibility is that McKay tries to learn to catch before she arrives at OU. She could play the corners, catch and DP as a power LH Bat.

7th comment - You are right, I count 18 as well.

With that said, OU probably takes at the most 3 players in the class of 2025. Like you said, what is it they need? Well a Catcher (maybe McKay as a backup), a Pitcher, one at least and a player that is versatile. As you said, OU often picks a SS and the player transitions to another position.

Here is how I see the lineup in 2024-25 right now. C - Hicks, 1B - Sanders, 2B - Garcia, SS - Barker, 3B McEnroe-Marinas, LF Bland, CF - Pickering, RF - Helton, DP - Parker. Coor (OF), Lilio (DP-2B), Hodge (SS-2B), McKay (C-1B-3B) are Milloy (LF, 2B) are backups.

In the circle, as you said, the Sooners have Deal LH, Monticelli RH, Geurin LH and Lowry LH.

OU needs a RH pitcher in my thoughts. All 5 pitchers you listed are RH'ers. All five are in the Top 25 in SA's rankings (Aug 2023) with Wells at #1, Zacke at #2, Bordi at #3 and Harrison at #6. Parker is at #25. EIS's rankings (May 2022) had Harrison and Wells as the top 2 in the Top 14 players and Zache and Bordi were in the Top 24 and Parker in the Top 34. EIS is currently announcing their Top 100 for the 2025 Class and will finish on the 18th of Aug.

I think it will boil down to who OU thinks has the biggest upside as a pitcher first. If it is close and the hitting could be a factor, it favors Wells, Bordi, Harrison and Parker. Honestly, I will leave it up to Coach Gasso and Rocha to pick one. I think all of them will be good. But I do think that maybe Harrison or Parker are the best athletes of the five of them. I do wish I knew more about Zache. I think the pitcher with a great % of strikeouts and low walks will favored. I know all of these pitchers have been to an OU Showcase or two except for Zache. She may have but I cannot find that listed. Zache is from South Bend, IN.

For the catcher, either OU has to believe that a 2025 player can beat out Hicks or that a catcher can also play another position. I see 1B as the best place as Sanders' last year is 2025. (Bordi, Zache and Harrison all play 1B.) The 23 best catchers in the Class of 2025 are Addyson Sheppard #8 and Top 4, Kendall Wells #12 and T11, and Anna Hinde #16 and T4. All are listed as playing 3B also. Sheppard is from Kingwood, TX (not sure she has been to an OU Showcase). Wells is from Georgia and has been to an OU Showcase. Hinde is from North Carolina and as you said, she has been to an OU Showcase. Again, I will leave it up to the OU coaches on this one. But I think it is possible to find a good backup C with some versatility in the portal next summer perhaps.

As for the last player that OU will recruit. It is interesting to me that you found Melody Acevedo as a SS. I recently started focusing on her. She is ranked at #39 and Top 34. But it looks like she has really big time power and can play defensively. She is tall and probably could transition to the OF or 1B. She has been to an OU Showcase.

But, I think Kia Minor is a player that has special skills except for arm. But potentially, Minor could be so good that she could be the DP with Parker moving to 1B in 2025-2026 when Micor arrives. She would bat leadoff on day one and probably rival every stat that Jayda Coleman has as a leadoff hitter. Minor has been to an OU Showcase and plays for the Batbusters.

I do not know about Elsa Morrison at all. All I can say is that she is not ranked by SA or EIS in their last rankings. But it does look like she can hit at some level. I see on her recruiting website that she also plays C as well as SS. Morrison is from Tennessee.

Ana Roman (OF) is ranked as #17 and T4. Roman is from Florida. Roman has been to an OU Showcase.

Right now, my choices would be; Pressley Harrison P/1B, Kia Minor OF/DP and maybe Lexi McDaniel SS/3B or Melody Acevedo SS.

McDaniel is from St. Joe, MO and hit 0.464 with 20 HRs in the summer of 2022. She is ranked #14 and Top 19. She has been to an OU Showcase.

I will have some more info about the 2025 class in probably two weeks after the EIS rankings are complete.
oufanforever

Post by oufanforever »

Patty follows 21 account on Twitter and only 1 is a 2025 recruit. That probably indicates who is OU's top priority for that class.

https://twitter.com/GassoPatty/following
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

oufanforever wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:36 pm Patty follows 21 account on Twitter and only 1 is a 2025 recruit. That probably indicates who is OU's top priority for that class.

Bordi is a very good recruit as a pitcher and potential hitter and maybe play 1B. If OU is successful at getting her committment, the class is off to a good start.
oufanforever

Post by oufanforever »

OUBeliever56A wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:52 pm
oufanforever wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:36 pm Patty follows 21 account on Twitter and only 1 is a 2025 recruit. That probably indicates who is OU's top priority for that class.

Bordi is a very good recruit as a pitcher and potential hitter and maybe play 1B. If OU is successful at getting her committment, the class is off to a good start.
Agreed. I almost wish there are more than just 3-4 spots available for the 2025 class. In terms of position of need, I think a pitcher and a catcher is basically it. Maybe we could take more than 1 pitcher in that class.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

oufanforever wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 4:14 pm
OUBeliever56A wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 3:52 pm

Agreed. I almost wish there are more than just 3-4 spots available for the 2025 class. In terms of position of need, I think a pitcher and a catcher is basically it. Maybe we could take more than 1 pitcher in that class.
But I do think thank that Pressley Harrison has a bigger upside than Bordi. She just throws harder and and is taller and a better athlete.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

I think we are in the hunt for Bordi, but I'm not convinced she is a lock for us. I've heard that her mother is a Univ Texas Alum (swimming?) Although Mom has said she is hands off and will let Sophia make her own college decision, that still is a factor hanging in the background. I bet when Patty starts recruiting '25s, there'll be more than one pitcher offered. And I still want a catcher too!
aka Crimson47
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

I'm not on Twitter, but from the following dialogue, I'm assuming she's following Bordi?
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

TropicalSooner wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:36 pm

I'm not on Twitter, but from the following dialogue, I'm assuming she's following Bordi?
It was that Bordi was following Coach Gasso I think. There were other confirmed OU recruits who were also on the list. It is a pretty good sign.

I guess the Sooners could take two pitchers in the 2025 Class.
oufanforever

Post by oufanforever »

TropicalSooner wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:36 pm

The only 2025 recruit Patty follows on twitter is Bordi. Other players Patty follows are Alo, Hansen, Jennings, Coleman, and Hicks.
oufanforever

Post by oufanforever »

cclift38

Post by cclift38 »

I'd be surprised if OU doesn't take 4 recruits. I just don't see a class with 2-3. You have to figure some players with portal. Of course there is always additions in the portal also.

I think Bordi is an OU lean. I like the chances here. I've heard there is interest from Parker. The fact she is from Oklahoma would also seem to be a benefit. I think its ok to add 2 pitchers to this class since the 2024 class didn't have a pitcher. There also seems to be interest from Kai Minor. More Batbuster/OU connections there. If OU could pull those 3 the foundation of the class is there. I do think adding a catcher should be a priority. I used to think Patty over recruited the catcher position but now I understand. It almost seems like you should add a pitcher and catcher every class. The number of recruits is just a guess by me. I just don't see OU not adding at least 4 in every class.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

cclift38 wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:07 am I'd be surprised if OU doesn't take 4 recruits. I just don't see a class with 2-3. You have to figure some players with portal. Of course there is always additions in the portal also.

I think Bordi is an OU lean. I like the chances here. I've heard there is interest from Parker. The fact she is from Oklahoma would also seem to be a benefit. I think its ok to add 2 pitchers to this class since the 2024 class didn't have a pitcher. There also seems to be interest from Kai Minor. More Batbuster/OU connections there. If OU could pull those 3 the foundation of the class is there. I do think adding a catcher should be a priority. I used to think Patty over recruited the catcher position but now I understand. It almost seems like you should add a pitcher and catcher every class. The number of recruits is just a guess by me. I just don't see OU not adding at least 4 in every class.
In theory, I suppose if one was trying to maintain a 20 player roster, then ideally you'd have 5 seniors, 5 juniors, and so on, and you would be rolling over 5 players each season. 20 has been sort of an average for Coach Gasso recently except for the Covid bulge, and we'll rid ourselves of that event after this year. Going into the '25-'26 season with 18 expected on the roster, I didn't see any need for Patty to go overboard on '25 recruits, but you are correct about outgoing transfers. They just happen. So with that in mind, perhaps Patty does take 4 recruits. My choice as I mentioned above would be a Pitcher, Catcher and OF, all being multi position players of course, but the closer we get, the more I really would like to have 2 pitchers. The saying is iron sharpens iron and you need an abundance of players to do that. I was looking at roster of other teams when I was scouting teams going into last years post season. Did you know UCLA carried 27 players last year? But then while I was looking for info for a post I'm working on for the upcoming season for the Big 12, I discovered Iowa State had 28 players last year! I was stunned!
I'm sure there is a delicate balance there with how many recruits you persue. If you go after too many, you may get some shying away from you, if not from being overwhelmed by the all-star talent already on the team, then because you have so many top athletes, they don't think they'll ever see the field.
Anyway, I'm not sure Patty needs more than 2 or 3, but now that I think about it, I bet she takes at least 4 just to protect against attrition and injury.
aka Crimson47
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

I agree with 'cclift38'. I think the Sooners are likely to pick up more players in the 2025 Class than they 'have spots for'.
Conventionally, the Sooners will have 17 players on their roster when the Class of 2025 recruits arrive in Norman.
  • The roster will be 21 players in 2024 with the players on the team right now.
  • The Sooners will have 10 players leaving after the season, leaving 11 players.
The Class of 2024 will have 7 players arriving for the Sooners for a roster of 18 for the 2025 season.
  • After the 2025 season, the Sooners will lose jus tone play (Sanders), leaving 17 players on the roster.
Between transfers into the Sooners and transfers away from the Sooners I think the numbers will remain fairly constant with what is shown above.

Traditionally, the Sooners would only have maybe 3 spots to add. but I think the Sooners may add more like 'cclift38' mentioned. If you can recruit highly ranked players, why not? Isn't is better to get players early than trying to wade through the portal to pick them up later?

I think the Sooners will try to pick up two pitchers and the two best players that they want for the Class of 2025 at least.

I also think that Sophia Bordi (RHP/1B) and Kia Minor (OF) have the inside track to be Sooners if they want to play for Oklahoma.
Others that are in the mix are probably Lexi McDonald (SS), Presley Harrison (P/1B), Hannah Wells (P/UT), Delaney Aumua (1B), Allyssa Parker (P/MIF), Harlie Chism (SS) and maybe Anna Hinde (C/3B) or Kendall Wells (C/3B).

I think that is the Sooners get two of Bordi, Harrison, H Wells, Parker and maybe a sleeper in Hardenberger that they will be great shape going forward in the circle.
I think if the Sooners get two of Minor, McDonald, Aumua, Chism, Hinde, K Wells and a sleeper in Acevedo (SS) and Wells that they will be in great shape going forward on the field both offensively and defensively.

We will have to wait about [Edit: this should have been 2 weeks, not 6 weeks] to see where the Class of 2025 looks like.

I would say this, the Class of 2024 was a very different class for OU with really 4 of the 7 recruits being a little under the radar for the Sooners. Lowry, Hicks and Barker were highly recruited players. But McKay, Milloy, Helton and Garcia were really players down in the ranking a ways. It was different. I think the data that the Sooners monitor and use for player analysis indicated that these players (all 7) were the players that they wanted. Will this scenario happen again? We will see.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

One more week.
Then the Class of '25 Frenzy begins!!

Boomer!
aka Crimson47