So........What Do We Do With Hannah Coor?????

Forum to discuss the best softball team in the country
TropicalSooner

So........What Do We Do With Hannah Coor?????

Post by TropicalSooner »

It wasn't the Battle game last night, but the one before I think. Coor had just hit her 2nd HR of the night ( 4th in 2 weeks) and I laughingly posted on another site : Hannah is saying "I don't care who the pitcher is and I don't care who the freshmen are--I want off that freaking bench!" All meant affectionately of course.....but it does now beg the question---What do we do with Hannah Coor???

After another poster today inquired "Is Coor going to be that big for us this year?", I think it just depends on how they decide to use her.

There is some thinking among us fans that there is a need to err on the cautious side and limit her to a DP role in order to protect her back, and therefore her bat. That is a valid statement and belief and could very well be her destiny as a Sooner. The other side is her defensive value. There probably isn't a catch (without diving) that she doesn't make--even an over the wall Jayda catch. But her arm is her real weapon. She has a rifle for an arm. Coach Gasso has already said that her throws are "money". Gasso doesn't toss something like that out there in public lightly. In the past when she has played, she was always first off the bench for outfield defense, either to rest someone or in runaway games. I think Gasso thinks there is a lot of value in her defense and her recent success in offense at the plate has now thrust her front and center into the conversation. Personally, in spite of her success at the plate, I honestly think that ultimately it is going to be awfully hard to dislodge Parker from the DP slot and if Hannah is not out in the field, then she's going back to the bench. And if that happens, I think we need to be very careful about how we manage that, because her "transfer capital" has definitely skyrocketed this fall.

We have seen a lot of Fall Ball this year and it's a been eye opening watching how both the freshmen and the transfers have settled in and adapted to the Championship Mindset. But Coor has been here awhile and has lived and breathed the Championship Mindset for a couple of years. It is showing in her work and her improvement.

So what do we do with Hannah Coor???
aka Crimson47
oufanforever

Post by oufanforever »

My thought has evolved on this topic. At first, I thought Coor should be in RF starting as long as she can. Then, the argument about trying to protect her back by having Coor DP more is logical and convincing to me, especially if we can get her into RF when we need the extra defensive value she brings. Finally, I think if Coor is willing to sacrifice her body and playing through the pain, why should the coach hold her back and not let her play the position she rightfully earned. So, I am kind back to playing Coor in RF when she can, and just give her a rest day when she needs it.
White River

Post by White River »

With a team this talented you play your way onto the field and Coor has done that this fall. While there will be some rotation in left and right field next year, I feel that Coor and Pickering have earned a great deal of playing time. I'm as big a fan of Riley Boone as there is, but her offense has not been as strong as Coor and Pickering. I don't want Boone's Senior season to be as a spot player but if the spring plays out like the fall has, that's exactly what she should be. I think going into the spring Pickering, Coor and Boone will rotate in left and right field but the two that play the best should play the most.
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

I would offer that the three posts above on this subject are wise 'posters' and have approached the subject very well. All have made very good points and made a point well.

Hopefully i can follow their excellent leads and continue the comments. I approach it this way.

I think we all would agree that replacing the Lee-Lyons-and dare I say Erickson "power" would be a great thing for the 2024 Sooners. That means that someone has to provide 28 doubles, 2 triples and 32 HRs. Those three players played DP, RF and SS for the most part. How do the Sooners go about doing that.

1 - Before Fall Ball, a person might has thought that Cyd Sanders would provide some of the numbers as she returns to her freshman form and improves her 2023 season of 6 doubles and 9 HRs to something like her freshman season of 14 doubles and 21 HRs and perhaps her .421 BA. I think this fall and a knee 'thing' places some doubt on that possibility. I might be 'too negative' to hope that in 2024 she simply duplicates her 2023 season in a recovery season. Maybe she has a better BA and a little more power in 2024 but to expect the 2022 #'s is not probable at this point. So for my two cents, there is no solution with Sanders currently to pick up those L-L-E numbers.

2 - One could honestly expect the quad of Jennings, Brito, Coleman and Hansen to continue their onslaught on opposing pitchers and add to their stats from 2023 which were something along the lines of a .410 BA, 15+ doubles and 16 HRs times 4 players. Pretty amazing stats for four players on the same team, again for the most part. Okay, they can provide more but man that is just really hard to do considering injuries and other factors. My mindset tells me to count on them repeating their stats and if you get more, so be it. To count on it is maybe being a bit spoiled as a fan.

3- So which new players can provide that? Before Fall Ball I was looking at Parker, McEnroe-Marinas and Pickering for most of it. Maybe Torres would up her game too. Maybe Sanders as I mentioned above.

Now, McEnroe-Marinas has an uphill battle to contribute a great deal in the Spring as she has to play her way in to playing shape and into the lineup before you count on a .350 BA and 15 HRs, right. You take one step at a time and you still have to find a place (3B) for her to play.

Now, Parker has played well this fall, looks to be a viable 1B if needed, and has now hit a HR after last night. I had visions of a .350+ BA and maybe 30 EBHs by Parker. I think that is doable for her if she plays full time. I think she will play full time in 2024. 1B and DP are needs that the team has. She is built perfectly to provide that. And if you have watched a game this fall, you know how well she runs. That is a plus for her playing regularly. Let's say she hit .350+ and hits 12 doubles and 15 HRs. that will help. More or less she replaces Haley Lee.

Now, Pickering has hit the ball hard in Fall Ball and leads the team in HRs with 6. Stand up if you thought that would be the case. (I a still sitting down.) I thought Pickering could hit .350+ and hit a neat 15-18 doubles and 12-15 HRs if she plays full time. I do not think she plays full time now. She will play a great deal though. Let's say she adds a .350 BA and 12 doubles and 10 HRs in 2024. More or less she replaces Erickson.

Now, Hannah Coor has jumped into the picture with a great Fall Ball campaign. I think about Taylon Snow's great Fall Ball of 2021. She was all of a sudden Babe Ruth. Her 2022 was not Babe Ruth, it was good but not the Babe. Does that apply to Coor? Who knows. But with her back set aside for the discussion, I think she will play a great deal. I am not real sure how both Pickering and Coor play a great deal unless the DP slot is used and/or Boone plays less is involved. But if they can and do both play a great deal, let's say Coor hits .325+ and hits 12 double and 10 HRs in a huge year for a player with 7 career PA's and no hits. That basically replaces Lyons in 2023.

So that is how it is done. How they get on the field is a big change.
A - It takes Parker to play 1B and or Sanders to improve her stats to somewhere between 2022 and 2023 and then Parker to fill the DP slot.
B - If Parker is at 1B, Sanders, Pickering, Boone and Coor divide LF/RF and DP equally to fill the those three spots in the lineup.
C- It takes Boone to take a bit of a step back and Coor and Pickering more or less start in LF and RF with Sanders at 1B and Parker at DP. Blaspheme you cry as you read that. But it may come down to 3 players playing of the 4 players including, Sanders, Boone, Pickering and Coor.

Then in a distant thought, if Brito plays SS and Torres plays 3B, AND if McEnroe-Marinas plays herself into a playing position in 2024, she can play 3B and maybe the DP at times and provide stats along the lines of .350+ and double digit doubles and HRs (maybe 12 doubles and HRs).

And remember, if Hodge plays SS, all this is revised and you start all over again.

It is all speculation right now. It will play out in February, March and April in 2024. i am not ready to guess yet at who ends up playing. There are ways to justify probably 12 players playing right now and be correct.

I like the discussion though.

Boomer Sooner!
oufanforever

Post by oufanforever »

In my opinion, Boone and Sanders have the most pressure on them to retain their position in the starting line up. For SS, I am leaning towards Brito winning that job and Torres play 3B.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

oufanforever wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:50 pm In my opinion, Boone and Sanders have the most pressure on them to retain their position in the starting line up. For SS, I am leaning towards Brito winning that job and Torres play 3B.
That's kind of the way I'm leaning also, but Torres's bat has been a disappointment this fall. I guess I need to go back and see how Hodge's bat has compared to Torres....but that's going to take me awhile to sift through all the game threads and figure out.
aka Crimson47
oufanforever

Post by oufanforever »

TropicalSooner wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:01 pm
oufanforever wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 1:50 pm In my opinion, Boone and Sanders have the most pressure on them to retain their position in the starting line up. For SS, I am leaning towards Brito winning that job and Torres play 3B.
That's kind of the way I'm leaning also, but Torres's bat has been a disappointment this fall. I guess I need to go back and see how Hodge's bat has compared to Torres....but that's going to take me awhile to sift through all the game threads and figure out.
Torres did hit better than Hodge in the Battle Series based on my memory and she made more solid contacts (e.g., fly balls caught at the wall). Her defense at 3B has been solid and alleviated some of my concern about moving Brito from 3B.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

oufanforever wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:08 pm
Torres did hit better than Hodge in the Battle Series based on my memory and she made more solid contacts (e.g., fly balls caught at the wall). Her defense at 3B has been solid and alleviated some of my concern about moving Brito from 3B.
Ok....I can live with that. I'm more defense oriented at this point and Torres has other bats around her that can move things along.
aka Crimson47
SoonerGirl1201

Post by SoonerGirl1201 »

oufanforever wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:08 pm
I didn't get to watch or follow all the games, but my head is telling me something like this (would love corrections where you all see them being made):
1 base - Assuming healthy Sanders
2 base - Jennings
SS - Avery Hodge
3 base - Brito
LF - Boone/Coor?
CF - Coleman
RF - Torres/Coor?
DH: Parker/Pickering
OUBeliever56A

Post by OUBeliever56A »

I will have that no later than in the morning.
MontOUfan

Post by MontOUfan »

I really enjoyed the Battle Series this year. It was eye-opening to see the freshmen's skill sets. I think the fall season is an important element in determining the lineup for next spring, but not nearly as important as spring practice. I think the intensity level rises a notch, and the impending season brings out another level of competitiveness. Here are a couple of things that I noticed:
1. While Coor had an amazing fall, both at the plate and in the field, I just kept noticing every time the camera was on her how uncomfortable she looked. She was moving around a lot to stay loose, stretching between batters, even a few grimaces here and there. Just hoping her health holds out and she has a great season.
2. I am still uncertain about Hodge. She had some stellar plays in the field and at the same time was somewhat unsteady, a bobble here and there, a couple of errant throws. I think in the long run she is going to be an exceptional defensive player. She and Torres are such different offensive players it is hard to compare what they can contribute.
3. The pitchers seemed to get better as the series went along. I wouldn't even begin to guess how the staff will be utilized next season. Again, I believe they will be even sharper after the winter workouts and spring practice are completed.
Every time I come up with a potential lineup, I can see other options that might be just as good. I know that platooning doesn't seem to be a thing most of the time in softball, but with right and lefthanded options in the middle infield, 1st base and DP, and in the outfield, I wonder if we might see some of that at times this season.
TropicalSooner

Post by TropicalSooner »

Regarding Avery Hodge:
The thing I picked up on with Hodge is that she seemed a lot more comfortable and confident at SS rather than at 2B. Maybe that is just me and it wasn't that way at all. But I just remember several 'errors' or 'bobbles' while at 2nd base that I'm just not remembering at SS, and seemed like her memorable 'good' plays were largely at SS.

Also, I think she has a decent enough bat, but apparently just not against our pitchers. If she gets a shot at SS next spring in the real season, I'm eager to see how she handles pitchers not wearing a Sooner uniform. There's no question she's a useful slapper and bunter but I would like to see her swing away and become more like Jayda. I think the coaches gave her the green light to swing away this fall, but it just had limited memorable results. I'm looking forward to what '56 posts tomorrow about the hitting comparison between Hodge and Torres. If Hodge is decidedly better--even with it just being slapping and bunting (just get on base some way), then I think she may wind up winning SS. But I think there must be decided separation between her and Torres, because Torres does have power whenever it does show up.
aka Crimson47
1KCSoonerFan

Post by 1KCSoonerFan »

I like to watch replays of OUSB from years past on YT (mostly '21 to '23). One thing I noticed is that early season, it is not uncommon to see several line up changes. (Donahoo playing infield, and Snow in RF, for example. Donahoo would end up in LF and Snow at 1B by year's end.)

Those old replays showed that by mid-season, the line up appeared pretty much set (barring injury and the occasional pinch hitter/baserunner/outfielder that was coming off the bench). To me, it would be odd NOT to see a variety of players coming in and out of the starter-group in the first one-third of the season. The core group begins to gel in the second one-third of the season, it seems to me.

This coming year, I expect much the same: a continuation of the 'try out' for each position, and that plays into the beginning of the second one-third of the season. Actually, the try out never really stops, but a core group starts to emerge as the data points make clear who the best players are.

What does all this have to do with Hannah Coor? To me, it means Coor will get plenty of chances to nail down a regular starting role if she can continue to out-perform the competition. The same for Pickering. The same for Parker. The same for Sanders. Etc. The one who is most consistently productive (offense and defense) will get the most PT. Drop off in production outside the normal slumps and bumps, and it is next player up. Besides, Coach does a very good job of rotating players in for 'second/third/fourth chances' and finding other roles for them to contribute in the mean time.
(Grace Green is a great example of this (who was also limited by injury) ....and Hodge, Lilio, and Coor last year)

So, unless something changes over winter training, I expect to see almost ALL the players out there for an early season try out. Especially Hannah! Coor has made a name for herself! She is the Battle Series Champ....winning over Brito, Coleman, Hansen, and Jennings....and everyone else on the #1 team in the land. Let that sink in a second. She'll get LOTS of opportunity to nail down a starting spot. If she can't hold it, then we have to settle for Pickering, I guess.....HA!!!

I know I make assumptions about the future that surpass my limited imagination. For example, Coleman did not play her last Battle Series because of a slight shoulder injury (as per news reports). Never even imagined that possibility. The team expects her to be fine and she was held out for precautions. Again, the injury bug is always lurking (and I wish it would stop lurking around the Sooners - Geesh!). A blessing to have an abundance of great OF talent. Can Boone, Pickering, and Coor be great in the OF if needed? (See Grace Green's quote below as she expresses my thoughts.)

On a side note: I am glad a couple other posters alluded to this about Hannah: she can make decisions for herself about her back pain (outside of her doctor's, coach's, and family's input about what is most beneficial for her young life). If she is needing rest, I believe there is enough trust in the program that she can ask for it - and will get it. If she wants to gut it out, chew leather, and play like an All-American despite the pain, I say GO HANNAH! Girls to women means making wise decisions for yourself and your future. I think Hannah wants to play and prove herself - pain be dammed.

Grace Green exclaimed, "Hell Yeah!" when Talon Snow went back into the game after dislocating her finger on a slide into third base in the 2022 playoffs. These ladies are tough! They must play for Oklahoma.

So, the short answer about what do we do with Hannah Coor is this: Play her! Play her as much as she wants and as much as she can and as much as she earns. Hannah would not want it any other way, I think.
The Far Journey

Post by The Far Journey »

Some excellent posts here, thoughtful and spot on. I think most people seem to agree on what we will see next spring and only differ in small degrees. Patty said in her last post Battle series presser that she won't answer who will start because she doesn't know. But she mentioned Coor a lot. Coor's hitting was done against arguably the country's best pitching staff. So I think for next spring two things are pretty much a certainty. Patty will rely on and start that core of players that have been around for three years, including Britto, a two year veteran. To me that also includes Rylie Boone, a career 400+ hitter and tremendous defensive outfielder. She was clutch hitting against Stanford in the WS and in big games during the year when we came from behind in the last or next to the last inning.

The second thing is there is no way Patty is going into 2025 and the SEC without giving this year's freshmen a lot of playing time. So all of them will play, Pickering likely sharing right field with Coor and occasionally both in the lineup in left and right. Same way in the infield. There are many combinations with a different shortstop in each. and we'll likely see them all for much if not all the season.

What this fall's Battle Series showed us is this: Patty is not likely going to put on a blindfold and throw darts at a board to select her starting lineups, but she could. And if she did, she'd still be putting the country's best team on the field.
EMan

Post by EMan »

I'll add my thoughts on Coor. Barring back issues, IMO she HAS to see the field a lot. As has been mentioned, just for her arm alone if nothing else. I'm not sure I've seen another softball player with the absolute rocket she has for an arm. Getting a chance to see her in action this fall has definitely been eye-opening. What an advantage it is to have someone in the outfield that other teams will really hesitate to try and challenge for that extra base. That saves runs, especially with a pitching staff like the Sooners have. Keeping that opposing player one base farther from home makes it that much harder to score. And when you add what we saw from the offensive side of the plate this fall, well, wow! Again, barring any issues with her back, I just firmly believe she needs to be on the field.
I may not always be right, but I'm never wrong!